Inbox: Aaron Rodgers played, and led, like an MVP in 2020

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
is0edwglh5xndyx5ctvh

Eddie from La Crosse, WI

Happy Monday, Mike and Wes! Do you have an opinion on the Stafford-Goff trade? We, armchair GMs, have been feasting on this one...

Stafford is one of the most underrated QBs of this generation. This was the perfect time for a change of scenery to a contending team, while Detroit rebuilds for the umpteenth time. It's also the fresh start the Rams and Jared Goff probably needed. Les Snead isn't shy about trading future draft capital for established playmakers. The Stafford trade will put that philosophy to the test and determine how wide the Rams' Super Bowl window stays open.

Ryan from Noblesville, IN

Well, the first big offseason move has been made. Stafford/Goff swap but the Lions also got two first-round picks and a third. Seems to me the Lions made out pretty well on this deal. What do you think? And I hope this doesn't start Inbox submissions about trading Rodgers because I don't care if we could get six first-round, a second-, a third-, and two fourth-rounders, I wouldn't trade him but rather see him play until he's ready to retire.

One other thing to keep in mind is that's a mighty large contract with a lot of guaranteed money that the Lions are inheriting with Goff. So there is some risk involved.

Jim from Thousand Oaks, CA

Now we get to see which strategy works better. All-in with Stafford going to the Rams who "only" need that star QB or the Lions with the draft picks. At least I don't have to worry about the Pack facing Stafford twice a year.

Stafford went only 7-13 with an 89.9 passer rating in starts against Green Bay but I highly doubt Mike McCarthy, Dom Capers, LaFleur or Pettine ever slept soundly the night before facing the Lions when Stafford was behind center. Regardless of the record, Stafford always gave the Lions a chance.

Joe from Wausau, WI

Quinn Meinerz, of Wisconsin-Whitewater, was the talk of Senior Bowl practice! Who knew?

Meinerz was the MVP of the Senior Bowl the second he stepped out of the locker room. The PFWA might as well pencil him in for the 2021 All-Rookie Team now.

James from Waynesboro, VA

Good morning Wes and Mike! Responding to Andy from Columbus, TX. I'm snowed in here in central VA so I took the time to do the research and our 292-167-2 record since Brett Favre's first start ranks second only to New England (305-157-0) during that span. We're one win better than Pittsburgh and they have 26 more wins than the fourth-place Colts (265-196-0). Also, sans NE, no team has more than four SB appearances (GB has three) and no more than three wins (GB has two). Can't argue with how GB does things!

Leave it to the Inboxers to get to the bottom of this. We had so many people contribute, including Mike from St. Louis, Daniel from Los Angeles and Karl from Valparaiso. Nobody's numbers were the same but the Packers were in second or third on everybody's list. And for the "Only Super Bowls matter" crowd, it's an exclusive club of NFL teams that have won at least two Lombardi Trophies since 1992.

Nikolai from Greenbush, WI

How many years, after a crushing defeat that will haunt the franchise for many seasons to come, can you come up with "We're still good," "It was a heck of a ride!" "we're optimistic about next year" columns? Answer: Forever--if you're a company patsy that spews out pablum for a living.

If you're looking for a fight, Spoff will be back tomorrow. I'm sure he'll have his laptop ready. Until then, I say good day, sir! I said good day!

Frank from Beaverdam, VA

Like a lot of folks, I have my opinion about why the Packers lost. However, if you guys post this Monday, I will be in surgery to have a heart valve fixed or replaced. I've got bigger fish to fry. So, I'd like to make Wes an offer. My wife and I talked about a few things we can do once I recover and Lambeau was mentioned. If we come to Lambeau, lunch is on me. And if Spoff tries to steal your leftovers, I will gladly take the 15-yard penalty and block him in the back.

And just when I needed a reminder of why we do this column, Frank puts life in perspective. Sending positive vibes and prayers your way, Frank. I look forward to seeing you on the other side of this thing.

HAVE A QUESTION?