Inbox: Anyone who watched LeRoy Butler knows how good he was

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
isd6bag4whwmmrsg47jk

Nicholas from Baltimore, MD

I've often wondered what makes a special-teams unit good? Like what traits are they looking for? Seems like it's a weird position of motivating backups to stay hungry and get down the field, but are coaches just kind of stuck with the players not good enough to start? How do you improve this unit?

Well, hunger should have nothing to do with that. If you're not motivated to contribute on special teams, you better have a solid Plan B for when you get cut. The job of a special teams coordinator is to coach discipline and fundamentals. Young players need to know what's expected of them. Once that framework is in place, then you can be creative with your scheme and identify opportunities for the flashier stuff.

Bruce from New Canaan, CT

Wes, while I can't recall your exact wording, over the last couple months on a couple occasions, you seemed to aver that Aaron Rodgers is the greatest, or best, QB of all-time. I found that interesting because most would consider that to be Tom Brady. Now, after quarterbacking another team to a SB win, it would appear that whatever scintilla of doubt one might have about Brady should be erased. Perhaps you might clarify for the II readership where you stand on Rodgers vs. Brady.

I don't get wrapped up in the GOAT talk. If you want to give Brady that title, I won't argue with you at all. But I believe Rodgers is the most talented, all-around quarterback to ever play the position when factoring in his arm talent, intelligence, mobility and downfield accuracy.

Matthew from Clarkston, MI

I set a reminder to ask this question in the offseason. Back in March, you were all on board the Henry Ruggs hype train before the draft. GM Hodkiewicz was correct that a top 15 pick would be needed for him. Did Ruggs' season matchup to your expectations and draft position?

I think so. I know Ruggs' rookie season wasn't as dominant as my other pre-draft darling, Justin Jefferson, but I still think he has a bright future ahead of him. Ruggs showed his explosiveness in 2020 and I only expect he'll build on that.

Tim from Cameron, WI

It's just one person's opinion, but I read an article saying that if Jordan Love was in this year's draft he'd be ranked ahead of Justin Fields and just behind the top two QBs expected to be drafted first. Do you see any scenario where Love could be traded for a first-round pick in this draft? Dallas at 10, SF at 12 and NE at 15, plus the Colts slightly further down the line. Would potential suitors be hesitant wondering why the Packers would be giving up on him after one year?

I don't see any scenario where Love gets traded this offseason, especially with Tim Boyle being a restricted free agent.

Josh from Milwaukee, WI

Are you surprised that no teams with head coaching vacancies waited to have further conversations with KC or TB assistants (even GB and Buffalo assistants, to an extent)? I get no one wants to be left empty-handed after the hiring rush, but these coaches help run some of the best offenses and defenses in the NFL.

It's a weird quirk in the NFL's silly season. It seems like assistants on eliminated teams always wind up getting head-coaching opportunities over those still in title contention.

Bill from Maple Grove, MN

I don't get it. If teams can't pay a player with a big salary because of the cap crisis, how can another team sign them to their big salary and stay under the cap? I would think there would be a pool of big salary players being unsigned.

My fear is you're going to have a select group of players making the most money ever at their position, while that next tier is asked to play below-market value relative to normal years. Again, we won't know that for sure until the salary cap is determined and free agency begins. Either way, patience is going to be a virtue for teams and players alike.

Avida from Vienna, VA

Do you expect that we will hear directly from the two new coordinators soon or will we likely have to wait until minicamps (if they are held this year) or potentially training camp to get the first conference calls and media availability with them? Thank You.

No, we'll for sure hear from the coordinators sometime in the next month. If I had to guess, they'll probably wait until after the coaching staff is finalized and make everyone available. That's how they did it with Mike Pettine in 2018.

James from Orlando, FL

Good morning Wes. Last Friday on "The Price is Right," one of the prizes was a pair of season tickets for any NFL team. My question is what if the contestant had picked Green Bay. Would they have actually received those hallowed ducats?

"The Price is Right" would've been shelling out some serious cash because there's no way the winner is jumping the line.