Inbox: Enjoy this night. You've earned it.

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vjrbnftl6idsbxjbpecl

TK from Grafton, WI

Just what is it that makes the NFL Draft superior to all the others? The complexity of the various positions? The fact that the players selected can contribute so much sooner (especially when compared to baseball)? The fact that players chosen in the late rounds can become meaningful members of the roster?

For starters, football is the most popular sport in North America. It's the three days when the NFL and college are in the same orbit. College fans want to see where their favorite players will end up, while NFL fans hope to hit on a potential superstar. It also helps it's a very viewer-friendly event during another otherwise dead time in the calendar year.

Miguel from Monument, CO

In the last three drafts, Matt LaFleur teams have traded all their fourth-rounders to move up in the first round (Titans, 2018, Packers 2019 and 2020). This year the Packers have two No. 4's. Last time they had that going into the draft was in 2019, when they traded the two No. 4's to move up from 30 to 21 and drafted Darnell Savage. Repeat this year? Conversely, with the much more unknown quality to this year's draft, maybe the fourth-rounders are important for getting as many at-bats as possible. What say you?

Chuck from Gold Canyon, AZ

Top of the morning Spoff. Only one more day until we know (or don't). In my opinion, there are three players based on most mocks I could see Gutey trading up for: Jenkins, Newsome or Farley. Regarding Farley, with lack of medical information gained this year due to no combine, how do the teams get reliable information on injuries to make decisions? Is it shared or team-based? BTW, Southern Illinois' QB is a 5-foot-10 junior so we won't be drafting a Saluki TE this year.

Teams will gather as much information as they can and make the right decision for them. I still think a team will take a chance on Farley in the first round. He sat out for the right reasons this past year and his ceiling is just too high.

Joel from West Des Moines, IA

Gentlemen, given the Packers were so opportunistic in signing Allen Lazard off the Jaguars' practice squad near the end of the 2018 season, has anything ever been revealed, particularly by Brian Gutekunst or Lazard, about the Packers' interest in him going into the 2018 draft, how he initially ended up on Jacksonville's practice squad rather than Green Bay's, or why the Packers moved so decisively to snap him up when they did? Thanks very much!

I can't recall how much interest the Packers showed in Lazard leading up to the 2018 draft but Jacksonville put the full-court press on signing him. The Jaguars guaranteed a portion of his rookie salary and told Lazard he'd be the only receiver they signed as an undrafted free agent. Lazard was OK starting the season on JAX's practice squad but felt like he should've been promoted by the time December came around. When Green Bay called, it was a no-brainer to sign to the Packers' 53.

Dennis from Beavercreek, OH

I read a few years back that players would rather not get drafted than to be drafted in the seventh because then they could pick the team they wanted to go to. Have one of you two ever asked a seventh-rounder drafted or UDFA that question and what was the answer?

Undrafted free agents always say they like the freedom to choose where they play – and I believe them – but Mr. Irrelevant's signing bonus last year was $71,538. That's a decent chunk of change considering there's a decent chance you'll at least land on the team's practice squad.