Inbox: Every second counts in Indy

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xhuhtpmtafp1sb2vwmez

Melissa from Germantown, WI

What is the situation with the 2022 NFL Draft potentially coming to Green Bay? I'm seeing a lot of reports but nothing definitive.

My weekend got blown to smithereens with all this draft talk. Instead of going over it for the umpteenth time, please consult my Saturday story for the latest.

Steve from Wichita, KS

I love the combo of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. They both seem to root for each other. With that being said. The chances of both being re-signed seem unlikely. I have seen that Jonathan Taylor may drop to the second round. He would look great in green and gold.

Next week is a major opportunity for Taylor and Georgia's D'Andre Swift to prove they're first-round caliber players. That being said, I think the Packers have too many other needs to draft a running back in the first two rounds.

Jim from Phillips, WI

Why haven't we seen Curtis Bolton's name in any of your discussions? He looks like a genuine talent.

I didn't get a chance to talk with him at the end of the season but Bolton seemed to be moving around pretty well by the end of the year. Bolton nearly won a starting job before the ACL tear. We'll see where he's at come April.

JR from East Moline, IL

Other than the Packers, has any other team ever had two QBs each get to the conference championship four times?

Good question. Dallas? Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach.

Ron from Trempealeau, WI

Thanks for the great work you guys do! Do either of you stay in regular touch with any of the players during the offseason?

I recently texted Danny Vitale congrats as he and his wife are expecting. Other than that, I try to leave players alone, especially during the early portion of the offseason. They just got done dealing with us for six consecutive months.

Jenny from Cedar Falls, IA

With such discrepancies in calls being made by the refs, which can literally win or lose a game, how does the NFL train refs for consistency? Is anything being done to create better consistency from field to field on calls? How many refs work for the NFL, in general? Do they go to any field across the U.S., or work a geographic region to keep travel shorter, or follow an NFC division? Thanks.

The NFL has a chain of command to train officials, prepare them for rule changes/emphases and evaluate calls from previous games. There are 122 officials league-wide. Geographical location isn't factored into the assignment.

Jennifer from Middleton, WI

If you get the opportunity to make requests to the NFL on the team app, could you please ask to reinstall the feature to shadow content when read? Especially in-season with so much content, it's nice to be able to scroll to the bottom to the first non-shadowed article and work up. Or if you only have time for a few, then you can go back and quickly see what you missed. They messed with my routine.

We received a few questions about this over the past week so I'll just answer it here. The apps were recently updated and we're currently working on a resolution. However, I can't give you a firm timeline yet.

Connie from Lena, WI

Do players make the practice squad year after year or do they have to try out every year?

Every team sets its 10-man practice squad after final cuts. In its simplest terms, all waived players who don't make the 53-man roster are eligible as long as they haven't spent more than three seasons on a practice squad or have two accrued NFL seasons.

Pancho from Neshannock, PA

Hello guys. You're going to have to talk me off the ledge. After years of rooting for the Cowboys' opponent each week, a local boy is now their head coach...a man I admire and respect. I find myself wanting to cheer for the 'Boys. I am feeling highly conflicted.

The problem with society is everyone wants to tell everyone what to do. Do you, Pancho. If you want to cheer for Mike McCarthy and the Cowboys, go right ahead. The Packers aren't guaranteed to play Dallas for another year anyway.

Dylan from Belgrade, MT

I love the Inbox. You're all very informed, smart, high-motor kinda guys...

Joe from St. Louis, MO

Hi Mike and Wes. The Hall of Fame seems to vote in a whole lot of quarterbacks and skill-position players. It's a given that they are crucial to a team's success, especially quarterbacks. But, in my mind, there should be a near-equal distribution of great players representing each position.

I agree. Pro Football Hall of Fame voters are having to pay the piper right now for all the years that Canton ignored the safety position. I don't expect the Hall of Fame to expand to more than five modern-era candidates per year, but I think they're slowly becoming more receptive to candidates at the less glamorous positions.

Eric from Reedsburg, WI

Now that Mason Crosby reportedly has been re-signed for an additional three years, do you think it's even possible that someone could ever break his all-time Packer scoring record?

Crosby already has the record locked down for decades. By the time his career is over, I think Crosby will put that Green Bay scoring record in a different stratosphere. Ted Thompson drafted one kicker…and what a kicker he's been.