Inbox: Everything’s in constant motion on draft night

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
euusffgnh3b4atkybmvw

Alan from Honea Path, SC

Would you consider Tony Mandarich and Aaron Rodgers the worst and best Packer draft picks of the “modern era,” or is that too simple an answer?

If the modern era is the last 30 years, then yes.

Josh from Gillette, WY

Hey guys, I’m a daily reader, love your perspective, and appreciate your coverage. I wanted to ask about Matt Miller’s latest mock. I know mock drafts are just fluff in the offseason, but have you looked at Miller’s latest? I would be perfectly fine with every pick he made in the first four rounds, none more than Nasir Adderley at No. 30.

Adderley won me over in Indianapolis. He’s accomplished, but what impressed me most was how he handled the media. Hearing his story and background also helped connect a few dots. This was a legitimate power-five conference player coming out of high school, but academics slowed his recruiting process. I respect how Adderley honored his commitment to Delaware even after becoming eligible for a scholarship at a bigger program. I wouldn’t be upset at all if Adderley made his way to Green Bay.

Mike from Fort Wayne, IN

Do you think the Packers will draft a running back in this year's draft, possibly higher than what most people think? The more I think about where this offense seems to be going, and based on comments by MLF, I feel we need to get a high-quality back and focus on the OL/TE included, to protect Rodgers by being more balanced with the run, rather than relying on plays that may produce great drama and theater, but that also exposed Rodgers to injury. Nabbing a safety is big, too.

It’s possible the Packers draft a running back, but I do not think it’ll be higher than most people think. Rodgers has been singing the praises of Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams. You want to ride with those guys.

Eric from Mequon, WI

So we are getting closer to the draft. Do you think teams are still scrambling to put their boards together or are most done by now, sitting back drinking a Leiney, basking over their great work?

I think the framework is in place, but there will still be some moving and shaking over the next two weeks. Pre-draft visits are going on and medical re-checks happened Wednesday in Indianapolis. As more information becomes available, GMs and scouts will adjust their draft boards accordingly.

Edward from Lone Tree, CO

Since it's that time of year when NCAA football players are showcasing their talent to NFL scouts and coaches during independent workouts, it got me thinking about the quarterbacks that will soon take the stage in the NFL Draft, and their preparation during these workouts. When highlighting their arm talent, throwing passes for accuracy and distance, are they using an NCAA regulation ball for these skill drills, or are they throwing "The Duke"?

Oh, it’s “The Duke” all right.

Dylan from Bozeman, MT

When Larry does Primers on defensive lineman does he shrug his shoulders and say, "I coulda blocked him"?

Larry has some amazing stories about football, broadcasting and everything in between, but listening to him talk about offensive line play is fascinating. In Phoenix, we had a really interesting conversation with him about how the game has changed in the trenches. The man is a football encyclopedia.

David from West Fargo, ND

Top three WR picks had me thinking, why doesn't Don Hutson get more national love? Shouldn't there be a Don Hutson award to the best WR each year in the NFL? Also, the three mentioned (Hutson, Lofton and Sharpe) were all early first-round picks. In Hutson's case, there wasn't a draft but they paid him the most they ever had a player, he was a first-team All-American the previous year, and they bought a new carrier pigeon to get his contract in. And here we sit with a high first-round pick. Food for thought.

Kids these days have a hard time remembering what happened 75 minutes ago, let alone 75 years. I’m sorry, but the GOAT conversation at receiver ended around the same time the Allied Powers prevailed. Nobody, perhaps at any position, has dominated his era more than Hutson.

Dean from Vienna, VA

You said, "Rodgers was listed on the injury report the rest of the season with a knee injury. Any specifics divulged beyond that are up to the team and the player." Can you give us some examples of why a team might not divulge more specifics in a case like this? Did the rest of the team know? Surely, the weight of what he did would have motivated the other players, and kept down some of the noise.

Trust me – it would have only enhanced the noise. If an athlete is playing through an injury, the less information that’s out, the better. It doesn’t matter if it’s the NFL, St. Norbert hockey or the Ashwaubenon wrestling team. If the NFL (and media) knew Rodgers was playing through a fracture – and not just ligament damage – it would’ve dominated the narrative the rest of the season and the opposition could’ve targeted it.