Inbox: Expect to see more of it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
f2vnwva8xdj7vhus0psr

James from Appleton, WI

I wouldn't be surprised to see Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon together in the backfield on a quarter of the offensive snaps this season. With Adams and MVS at the edges and Tonyan or Josiah Deguara at tight end, where would you put your safeties as the opposing defensive coordinator?

It's a problem for defensive coordinators, especially when MVS is on the field. The Packers played Jones and Dillon together a little last season, often motioning Jones out of those two-back formations to get the defense to declare its coverage. Expect to see more of it in 2021.

Steve from Marinette, WI

Just read Jamaal Williams' thank you to Green Bay, the Packers fans and organization. What a class act he is! This is the sad part of free agency. I am sure Packer fans will join me in wishing him the best in his NFL career!

Williams is an incredibly unique person. I'll miss his lighthearted back-and-forths with reporters in the locker room.

Bill from Clive, IA

Hi, Wes. Hoping for a few turns of phrases from you these next two weeks. Now to my question: assume for the moment that Jamaal departs in free agency. What scenarios are most likely for filling in a No. 3 RB behind Jones and Dillon come September?

Dexter Williams signed a futures deal after the season, so he'll have the inside track at the No. 3 job. I'd still expect the Packers to add at least one more back through free agency, the draft or college free agency.

Brent from Santa Maria, CA

Jamaal Williams has 500 carries and ZERO fumbles in the NFL (not just fumbles lost). It seems pretty incredible. Where does this rank him on the streak list?

It's gotta be up there among active backs. Again, that's not ZERO fumbles lost – that's ZERO fumbles period. Williams has never once put the ball on the ground in an NFL game. I wanted to write about it last year but it wasn't worth the hell I would catch if then he fumbled the following Sunday.

Brian from Rochester, NY

The organization's history of late-round success on offensive linemen has been impressive over the years. I have to think the combination of great scouting and coaching has created more hits on these late-round prospects. Between James Campen and now Adam Stenavich coaching these guys up, the preparation is evident week-in and week-out regardless of who is out there. I don't see why we couldn't find another steal later in the draft. Feels like we might already have another in Jon Runyan based on last year.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find another organization over the past 20 years that's been as successful for drafting-and-developing offensive linemen as the Packers. Come to think of it, that might be a good offseason project. For as much as we talk about the Badgers' success on the O-line, the Packers have cut a similar cloth in the NFL.

Stephen from Palos Park, IL

Wes, if the Packers were going to sign Aaron Jones anyways as a free agent, then why didn't they place the franchise tag on him?

Because they were confident negotiations were headed in the right direction and trusted they could get a deal done without it. Like I said yesterday, there can be repercussions for tagging players (see Le'Veon Bell and Pittsburgh). It restricts their marketability and can create resentment if not handled properly. The Packers gave Jones space and it worked out for everyone involved in the end.

Steve from Kansas City, MO

Did I miss something about Devin Funchess re-signing? I thought he signed a one-year deal last year, and then opted out of playing due to COVID policy. Is he contractually still obligated to play for us?

Funchess' contract tolled because he opted out last year, so he remains under contract with the Packers for 2021.