Inbox: Games hinge on difference-makers

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ubmgxhy7qzl2fllnc79a

Craig from Johnson City, TN

Not expecting a trade up in the first round as it's too expensive, and with potentially five QB ahead of us we should get a decent player at 29. In later rounds it may make more sense. Don't you think Seattle would want to swap seconds with another team to add to their three picks? That's who I would target if someone I liked were dropping. Oh, and I got my second Moderna shot today. So I've got that going for me which is nice.

Gutekunst made significant draft-day trades with Seattle in each of his first two drafts, 2018 and '19. I could definitely see him making another deal with his ol' buddy John Schneider (in this case on Day 2) if the right player is available. Sean from Boulder, CO, chimed in about how excited he is to see Gutekunst "work the board." I second the motion.

Chase from Ft. Wood, MO

Good morning team. Do we spend the money on Tae even though WR is "the easiest position for any NFL team to revamp/restock"? I would think that rule would only apply to good, or even great, players but not All-Pro level players. Thanks.

Definitely. When you have one of the best in the league possessing such a great rapport with your Hall of Fame QB, you don't let him leave. Games hinge on difference-makers. Any restock starts after a top dog like that.

Brian from Pensacola, FL

How often does a team's current cap situation effect what they are able to do in the draft? Do teams ever not trade up to a certain position (if they were able to) because of potential cap implications, or are rookie salaries not generally big enough to have that much of a cap impact in their first year?

Since the rookie wage scale was implemented with the 2011 CBA, cap implications with draft picks have pretty much ceased to be a concern. Pre-2011, there could have been a huge and potentially cap-damaging difference in the contract of, say, the No. 10 pick vs. the No. 5 pick. Not anymore.

George from North Mankato, MN

Have any of our division rivals made enough moves thus far to change the balance of power in the North?

As Wes and I have both noted, Minnesota has made the most intriguing and impactful moves among the division foes. But there's no way the Packers won't be the clear favorite in the North. The preview pundits all got it wrong last year. They won't make that mistake again.

Jeff from Chandler, AZ

I am longtime reader of II and a fairly frequent submitter of questions. I want to know if you keep stats on number of submissions and questions posted? It's always a big thrill to see your question worthy of posting and I wonder where I rank in postings as a percent of submissions.

Sorry, I don't have that list in front of me.

Brian from Columbia, MO

I'm guessing that Lambeau will have to suffer the "Final Jeopardy" song for 30-second timeouts until Rodgers is gone...

I'm pretty sure it's been used during replay reviews in the past.

Jared from Tampa, FL

Who doesn't eat all of the Skittles?

And with that, a new week has arrived. Happy Monday.

HAVE A QUESTION?