Inbox: Get that three-headed backfield healthy and ready for the stretch run

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mqkr4ng8lsuc5aiqfbhe

Matt from Minneapolis, MN

Last year in the season opener against the Bears, Raven Greene played over 75% of the defensive snaps at hybrid inside linebacker and had a very good game. That playing time may have been partially due to the preseason injuries of Burks and Bolton, but it's hard to know for sure because Greene was injured the next week. What kind of impact do you think Greene can make in the hybrid linebacker role in 2020?

If he's fully whole from his injury, which was a significant deal, Greene is the preferred player for that hybrid role and why he was the guy in Week 1, regardless of the injuries to Oren Burks and Curtis Bolton. Going with a second pure inside linebacker is a different defensive package. I'm sure Pettine would love nothing better than for Greene to be back to his old self in 2020.

Doug from Eugene, OR

I'm not sure if II readers are allowed to submit such assertions, but the response to Aristotle is pure Inbox HOF.

Thanks, I was pretty proud of that one.

Elliot from Minneapolis, MN

With the Korean Baseball League being played and the German soccer league starting up in a week, will the NFL pay attention to how those leagues are making it work, or are the leagues too different to gain any insight?

I'm sure the NFL will be paying attention to any sports leagues and the protocols that prove successful.

Matt from Waunakee, WI

My wife has been known to complain from time to time if I watch too much football. If your wife was to have the same complaint, do you get to pull the "I need to watch it for my job" card?

No, that goes without saying. I save the excuse for the complaints about watching too much baseball, and say it's my break from football.

Jason from Rockton, IL

Morning II. My best friend and I have been attending one road game every year for the past few years. We had circled Tampa Bay last year, before TB and Gronk, and the citrus hype train started. How much do you think Tampa's offseason will increase ticket prices for that game?

Considerably.

Aaron from Green Bay, WI

San Francisco this, San Francisco that, how are we going to beat San Francisco? In the past 25 years, only the Patriots, two years ago, returned to the Super Bowl after losing it the year before.

The top two seeds in the NFC in 2019 were not even in the playoffs in 2018. It's a year-to-year league.

Richard from Menasha, WI

I need a haircut. I see you on the "Unscripted" video and you guys are looking way better than me in the haircut department. You aren't cheating on the social distancing thing, are you?

I haven't had a haircut in calendar year 2020. My last one was the day before I got on the plane to fly to Detroit in Week 17, between Christmas and New Year's.

Mike from Fort Wayne, IN

I noticed in "Unscripted" that Mike usually on the left side of the screen and Wes is on the right. But recently your positions were switched one time. Do you flip a coin to see what side you're on, or is there something deeper going, or just technology reasons?

It's probably just our producer Marv messing with everybody and keeping himself entertained.

Eric from Glyndon, MN

As a follow-up to Forrest from Portland's question about the draft history of Rookie of the Year award winners, on defense the latest selection was Al Richardson in 1980 (eighth round, 201st overall). On offense, the latest selection was Jimmy Orr in 1957 (25th round, 291st overall). As one would expect, the vast majority of Rookie of the Year awards have gone to first-round draft picks, but somewhat interestingly, no player ever drafted first overall has won Defensive ROY.

There we have it. There is no pick No. 291 now, so that's the equivalent of undrafted in today's game.