Inbox: Get to crunch time and see what happens

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yowicuu9wkbfklg5le48

Yvonne from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Despite inconsistencies from game to game on both sides of the ball, do you think the chemistry in the locker room this season will be enough to take it all the way?

The chemistry helps handle the rough moments in games and fosters a belief that with the game in the balance someone will come through. I remember saying after the first 49ers game, when the Packers didn't recover from a bad start on the road again (the Chargers game was the previous trip), that was a hurdle they'd have to overcome to take the next step. They did that in Week 16 at Minnesota, when the three first-half turnovers on Monday night were followed by a dominant second half. That's a significant experience, chemistry-wise, to draw upon when the momentum inevitably shifts at some point on Sunday.

Rob from Wilmington, NC

I have a Packer trivia desk calendar. I've had a few in the past and it's rare I read the day's fact and it's not something I knew or at least have heard in the past. Today's however is something I don't believe I have ever heard. Apparently in 1919 the Packers had the first pro football mascot. A dog named Olive. Any photos of the pooch? Any official record?

I've never heard of that, but next time I see Cliff I'll bring it up.

Ron from Geneva, IL

How much advantage does SF have with an extra day to recover between their last game and Sunday?

It certainly doesn't hurt, but I wouldn't call an extra 26 hours of rest a major factor.

Paul from Bay View, WI

Hello II, Rodgers using all of the time clock to read the defense has been successful obviously since we were 13-3 in the regular season. Do you think the Packers could use the no-huddle, up-tempo scheme to their advantage Sunday? I would think it would help us with those quick slants and RB screens against a team as fast as the Niners. We haven't seen Rodgers use that quick tempo game all year. Do you think this would be a good time to use that?

A lot of readers are asking this. Brock from Waterloo, Ontario, pointed out the 49ers struggled defensively when the Cardinals and Rams went up-tempo. It would seem difficult to me, after having not run much no-huddle all season except in two-minute situations, to pull it out and go with it at this stage. But Rodgers is certainly capable, with a specific menu of plays, of making his own calls in any given sequence. I guess we'll have to see.

Scotty from Lombard, IL

Insiders, I wanted to play both Seattle and San Francisco in the playoffs. In 2012 and 2013, San Francisco ended our season. In 2014, Seattle ended our season. I do not care where the game is played. It could be in a parking lot. We owe it to ourselves, and both of those teams, to end their seasons. It is our turn now. I hope our team is going into Sunday's game with that type of attitude.

I can promise you they aren't thinking about the past. The vast majority of the players had nothing to do with those prior playoff clashes. It's all about what's in front of them. That's it, that's all. I can certainly appreciate the fan sentiment, though.

TJ from Eagle, WI

Awesome to see Bobby Dillon make the Hall of Fame! Great to see one of those underrated pre-Lombardi Packers get the respect he deserves.

As I said on "Unscripted," Ron Wolf was part of the blue-ribbon panel that was empowered to make the Centennial Class selections. He's been on record for years saying Dillon was the biggest oversight among former Packers not in Canton. So I'm sure he had a lot to do with Dillon getting this recognition. Cliff has made a strong case on our history pages for Verne Lewellen, who unfortunately didn't make it. The original purpose of this project was to re-examine the cases of those who played before the Hall of Fame was founded in 1963, to make sure no cornerstone players from the really old days were still being overlooked. Yet of the 10 players ultimately selected, only four (including Dillon) finished their careers before '63. I was a little surprised by that.

Cameron from Wayland, MI

Important observation: Packers are getting closer and closer to beating the Bears with the number of Hall of Famers! Mike Holmgren and LeRoy Butler next!

Actually, the Packers are now one more behind the Bears because Jimbo Covert and Ed Sprinkle got in. So, including the Centennial Class, at this point it's Chicago 30, Green Bay 26.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

In the Week 12 NFC Championship preview, Aaron Jones had 13 carries for 38 yards and Allen Lazard had one catch for 7 yards. If only one of those were guaranteed to improve, which one would you take?

Definitely Jones.

Sven from Hamburg, Germany

It sounded to me like before snapping the ball for the first touchdown pass, Linsley asked Rodgers, "What do you want to do here?" Was this just a bit of trickery by Linsley and Rodgers to confuse the Seahawks?

No. Linsley talked about that earlier this week. The Seahawks came out in an unexpected front, and the Packers had made a protection call that didn't match up. So Linsley's question was legitimate, Rodgers made a call, shifted the running back to the other side of him in shotgun, got the snap off right before the play clock hit zero and found Adams for the touchdown. Garden-variety third down, right?