Inbox: He's a superb technician

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
temjultbz9useahaojmu

Robert from Harris, MN

As for all the bad tackling talk, let us not forget, the other guy, the one with the ball, it's his job to avoid being tackled. I've noticed that a number of players on this level are quite adept at that skill.

They get paid, too.

Sam from Harlan, IA

In my opinion, the question of the week revolves around if we can get enough pressure on Brady. Do you have a different question or headline of the week on either defense or offense?

I'll go with tackle Ronald Jones and protect Aaron Rodgers.

Jim from Burlington, KY

What will the defense need to do to stop Tom Brady and the Buccaneers?

Aside from the above, it needs to limit big plays by Mike Evans and get at least one turnover.

Steve from Kansas City, MO

Can't wait for another Rodgers/Brady matchup. It's so much fun to watch Brady melt down when he loses a game he desperately wants to win. That said, it's rare Brady loses back-to-back. Will GB be as ready to play after their layoff as the Titans were Tuesday night?

That's the plan, Stan. I mean, Steve. But you're right, Brady doesn't lose consecutive games very often. Only nine times in his last 16 seasons.

Nathan from Lino Lakes, MN

In today's age of football, it would seem impossible to win with a quarterback that doesn't extend the defense with his legs. How does Brady get away with it?

He's the all-time master at buying time within the pocket. His shuffles and slide steps create clean platforms and throwing lanes without having to bolt. He and Brees have been the best at that, in my opinion, for years.

Swedgin from Norton Shores, MI

The Bucs decided to wear white on Sunday. The forecast is calling for a high of 88 degrees with substantial humidity and a stiff wind at 10-20 mph. A former writer of this column would be telling us that the Packers are in for a rough day. Are we doomed? How many casualties should we expect?

Doomed? It's going to be a challenge, no doubt. A lot of readers are asking about the jersey color thing. I've seen II's resident scientists go back and forth on the topic, so I'll say this: If the Packers think it matters, it probably will, so don't think it does. Professional athletes are good at winning those mental games. Regardless, LaFleur has been preaching hydration all week. It's probably a good thing kickoff isn't until 4:25 p.m. ET as opposed to 3½ hours earlier. Assuming fans are not returning to stadiums in droves in the next two months, the weather probably makes this the Packers' biggest road test of the season.

Jim from Tucson, AZ

I just watched the 1983 Redskins/Packers game, (48-47) AGAIN. I love it. I never noticed it before, but while plays were being run, there were no pop-ups or boxes of information on the screen. There is nothing but the action. It is great, much better than the interrupted screen we see today. We don't need the score, time etc., etc., etc. posted every minute. Can we go back to that? Please.

Sorry, but that ship sailed long ago. I appreciate the graphic with the score and clock being on-screen, and the yellow first-down line is nice. But I don't need the down-and-distance plastered on the field in big letters/numbers, the 10 yards needed for the first down being a different color of "grass," and the personnel groupings (3 WR/5 DB, etc.) being flashed at me before the snap. Some of the networks have definitely gone too far.

Matt from Plover, WI

If the Buccaneers win Sunday do you think they'll be the favorites to win the NFC Central? Or do you see them losing the tiebreaker to the Bears?

Happy Friday.

HAVE A QUESTION?