Inbox: He's been one tough customer down the stretch

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vznnv7i505aqgwpgqagz

Dave from Roswell, GA

So a lot of fans are stating the Packers are a much better team (including you guys) which I wholeheartedly agree but let's not forget...so is Tampa.

The Buccaneers lost back-to-back three-point games to playoff teams (Rams, Chiefs) before their late Week 13 bye, and have been rolling since. The Packers haven't lost since Week 11 and found another gear after the rough second half vs. Carolina in Week 14. There's no edge in terms of who's the hotter team.

Keith from Lincoln, IL

Does Ma Hod know Wes curses in the press box? Don't tell her if she doesn't.

Trust me, she packs little notes to keep him in line.

Jeffery from Milwaukee, WI

Hey Insiders, Spoff had a comment on Monday that he's tired of holding his breath during special-teams plays. New Orleans had one of the top special-teams units in the NFL and made a number of great plays early. Tampa, on the other hand, is like the Packers where the unit has been a source of weakness all year. Could the game Sunday come down to which team makes a mistake on special teams?

To be brutally honest, I hope not.

Pete from Babylon, NY

Not a question just an accolade. The third-down conversion by Marquez Valdes-Scantling was critical to the success we had. A fantastic effort on the catch and stretch. A lot to mention but did not want that one to get overlooked.

You know what blew me away about that play? It was the same play (to the other side of the field) on which MVS fumbled in overtime in Indy, and LaFleur had the guts to call it not only in a crucial situation, but one snap after AJ Dillon had just fumbled the ball. If that's not an example of never blinking, and maintaining faith in your players, nothing is.

Aaron from Scottsdale, AZ

True, TB12 played 20 years in chilly New England, but the rest of that Bucs team hasn't. Also, when Brady looked for a team to sign with, can any of part of his decision be attributable to his advancing age and the warmer climate? Even the greatest players' ability to endure the frigid conditions that exist in Lambeau in mid-January diminish over time. Look at Favre in that 2007 playoff loss to the Giants, for one. This may impact Brady more than some may expect given his history in NE.

I'm not counting on it. Two years ago it was 19 degrees in Kansas City when he won the AFC title game in overtime. How the rest of the Bucs players handle the ball in the cold is the larger question to me.

Tracy from Bellevue, WA

When Tampa crushed the Packers 38-10, the Packers actually started off with a 10-0 lead in the first quarter. The momentum was in the Packers' favor. They got the ball back and were driving again and if they had scored a TD there it would have been 17-0 and a different ballgame. However, that's when Rodgers threw the pick-six and the whole momentum of the game changed. If they take care of the ball this week they will win. I predict the Packers win 35-24 and Rodgers has three TD passes. Go Pack Go.

I caution anyone looking at that first quarter in Tampa as anything but a mirage. I said it at the time and in the aftermath, everything on those two early scoring drives came via extended, improv plays. Nothing on time or in rhythm, and the rest of the game played out as such. The Packers have to find some rhythm and timing early against the Buccaneers' defense. That's what'll make it a different ballgame.

Pete from Chippewa Falls, WI

Crazy how good Rodgers is because he really was "off" against the Rams. He missed MVS in the end zone for a TD when he threw it too high. He missed MVS wide open for what would have been a long TD when they were backed up near the goal line. He made a throw behind ESB that ESB caught. He completed a pass to Adams on the sideline on a double move that would have perhaps been a TD if he didn't underthrow it. Think his "off" game this week is a good sign for Sunday. He'll be sharp.

Works for me.

Al from Pueblo West, CO

Hi II, thanks for the opportunity to speak. "Everything's just words at this point." Love that quote. LaFleur's whole mindset has been the thing that makes him different and such a special leader. "Talk is cheap, just go out on the field and prove it." Play your best football today, in this game, and everything else will take care of itself. I personally believe the Packers have the better team, but it will only be speculation until the words become actions. GO PACK GO.

Happy Wednesday.

HAVE A QUESTION?