Inbox: He's everything that's right about this game

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zitftjp9byjn31j1qzpb

Ross from Hudson, WI

Which youngster improved the most during this past season?

Aaron Jones. He went from being a good running back with solid upside to one of the best all-around playmakers in the NFL.

Steve from Niagara, WI

Do you think the team sees Elgton Jenkins' long-term future at guard or back inside at center? He really played well his rookie season, but I'm wondering with his skill set at what position specifically in Matt LaFleur's offense he would be the best fit.

Jenkins has the positional flexibility to fill in at other spots in a pinch, but he looks like a Pro Bowl-caliber guard to me. He was terrific in 2019, especially given the circumstances, and Corey Linsley is one of the best centers in the game. Why mess with that?

Peter from Orland Park, IL

With the gauging the Pack's run defense experienced, and the retaining of Pettine, do you know if they will revert to playing gaps and containing the ends instead of simply pinning their ears back and rushing the QB?

There is no foolproof scheme. If you emphasize A, you're giving up something in B. The Packers' defense took a step in 2020 but there's still a lot out there. I'll be curious what answers Pettine and the defensive coaches find in their offseason film review.

Mike from Kronenwetter, WI

Do you think joint practices will still be sought by Coach LaFleur? Will they be policed differently this year?

The last we heard, LaFleur wanted to conduct joint practices again in 2020. I'm sure it'll be a popular question at the combine and owners meetings.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

Throughout the season, Kenny Clark seemed to never leave the field and the concern was if that would impact him come playoff time. The snap counts were also significant for our two EDGE players as well, who are really DEs in practice. With the way our entire DL front got pushed backwards during the SF game, is there any credence to reducing the snap counts next year for our primary defensive players? Or do most team's All-Pro caliber DLs never leave the field either?

It's not uncommon for defensive linemen to play that often. Clark played 869 snaps and finished second among DTs in pressures, according to Pro Football Focus. That was fourth-most among defensive tackles behind Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh and Cameron Heyward. Five others played more than 800 snaps. The Smiths were 14th and 15th, respectively, in snaps among edge rushers.

Jake from Shoreview, MN

Tyler Ervin is an upcoming free agent. He has bounced around to a few teams already, so I would anticipate that he will be cheap to re-sign, relatively. He provides a much-needed spark on special teams. Ervin seems to be fairly similar to Aaron Jones in size and running style. Would re-signing him as a backup shore up the Packers' backfield depth?

Ervin was a valuable late-season add for the Packers. He was an immediate upgrade on the return units and even made some plays as an offensive wrinkle. At 5-10, 192, Ervin was a good change of pace to Jones and Jamaal Williams. Brian Gutekunst has a lot to consider between now and the start of free agency. It's a good problem to have.

Caroline from Olympia, WA

What updates or changes would best benefit our team at the tight end position?

Improvement from within. When it comes to that position specifically, there are no easy answers or remedies. I highly doubt Hunter Henry and Austin Hooper reach free agency, and it's tough for a rookie tight end to step in Day 1 and dominate. The Packers need a big jump from Jace Sternberger and Robert Tonyan in 2020.

Diane from Hot Springs Village, AR

What percentage of throws were directed to Davante Adams this past season?

PFF charted Adams for 146 targets. Packers quarterbacks attempted 573 passes this year, so that would put it at 25.5%.

Vinny from Arlington, VA

Do you have a sense on whether negotiations have already began with Packers free agents or do these typically pick up steam as we get closer to the start of free agency? Thank you.

They'll pick up now that the Super Bowl is over but it's the deadlines that spur real action. Bryan Bulaga and Randall Cobb literally agreed to terms with the Packers hours before the start of free agency in 2015.

Mark from Saginaw, MI

My favorite Packers Super Bowl moment is when Brett Favre threw a TD pass on the first play! He came running off the field with his helmet in hand and the whole world could feel what the Packers were going to do that night! And in the same game comes my second greatest moment – No. 92 with the Lombardi Trophy!

Technically, it was the Packers' second play (Edgar Bennett opened with a 1-yard carry) but Favre's 54-yard touchdown pass to Andre Rison has to rank up there as one of the greatest starts to a game in Super Bowl history.