Inbox: He's one of the finest to ever put on a Packers uniform

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
pzplhk8rnhykr0clnbme

Eric from Honolulu, HI

How will players get paid for offseason workouts? Can working out at home count?

From what I've read on the matter, players who choose to participate in the virtual offseason program will be eligible for any workout bonuses in their contracts (this is a staple in Green Bay) in addition to the collectively bargained $235 per diem.

Robert from Bear, DE

Wes: For years, since Ray, I've been hoping for that dominant inside LB, only to see recently Pittsburgh or Baltimore draft that player before the Packers pick (e.g. Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley). It seems if Pitt or Balt draft them they will be stars. So not being entirely serious (as I would rather save the draft capital), I hope the Pack moves up in front of Pitt and Balt, and drafts Murray. With all the potential WR, OT, DL talent that may be available at 30, do you think Zack Baun at 30 is the same value?

I still like Baun a lot, despite these recent reports of a diluted sample at the NFL Scouting Combine. I don't think you could go wrong with Murray, Patrick Queen or Baun – but will they be there and would the Packers take them? We've talked about how they haven't drafted a receiver in the first round since 2002. Well, it's now been 14 years since they drafted an inside linebacker (A.J. Hawk), too.

John from Dousman, WI

With both Aaron Jones and Jamaal Williams in contract years and Jones will probably command a high price in free agency, do you think that the Packers will/should draft a running back in the second or third round?

We're talking about a position the Packers have kept stocked for the last three years thanks to a pair of Day 3 draft picks. Unless we're talking about a bona-fide top-five pick, I stop short of saying the Packers need to take a running back in the first three rounds as long as Jones and/or Williams are on the roster.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

When I read the Packers had switched James Looney from defensive line to tight end last year, I had a hard time comprehending the switch. It sounds like something that would have happened back in the '40s or '50s. There must be a story behind that. Have you talked to Looney or the Packers on how/why it happened? I'm rooting for him.

It's as simple as Looney was playing tight end with the scout team and the Packers liked what they saw. Practice-squad players are not available to the media, so I haven't had the opportunity to ask Looney about the switch. He only has one more year of eligibility on the practice squad, so time is of the essence. This is his best shot at making it in the NFL.

Jack from Chicago, IL

My friends are going Round 1 "brackets" or guesses this year to see who can guess the most first-round picks correctly. If anyone is over seven hits, I will be very surprised. How many could Spoff or Wes get?

What I've learned over the last eight years is predicting the first round is like a game of telephone. Once the message starts to get mangled, everything falls apart pretty quickly. The integrity of your predictions is reliant on those first 10 picks – if you hit there, you might just get seven out of the 32 right.

Dennis from Orono, MN

Hey guys, why are all the pundits and draft experts forecasting that our first-round pick be a receiver when all of the top-tier receivers will be gone before the Packers turn to draft? There will be no receivers available that offer any special talents that are not on our current roster. Besides that, the Packers will have three "new" players to compete for playing time at receiver with Equanimeous St. Brown, Reggie Begelton, and Devin Funchess. My first-round choices would be to draft an offensive or defensive lineman.

You may get your wish. Historically, offensive and defensive line has been the play for Green Bay in the first round. The three signings Brian Gutekunst made gave him breathing room. With Funchess, Rick Wagner and Christian Kirksey on the roster, Gutekunst can see how the board falls on April 23 and make the best decision possible at No. 30.

Alyssa from Kenosha, WI

Good morning Wes! On Tuesday you mentioned you would take the generational talent at receiver over the linebacker but it was really close. I agree that the receiver is the way to go but I'm curious as to how you ruled out the tackle so easily. I truly can't decide if I would rather have a decade of Ray Lewis or Joe Thomas. What was your thought process?

The Packers have the best left tackle in the league. That's why I narrowed it down to receiver and linebacker.

Jeff from Wausau, WI

In the spirit of the wardrobe malfunction, what are the chances of a draft board malfunction during this all-online draft?

If scouts can't all be in the same room together, I'm imagining them carrying a physical "cheat sheet" with the draft board on it – kind of like the ones your teacher would occasionally let you use for quizzes.

Mike from Cascade, ID

I hope you guys realize that many of us will NEVER forget how you've helped during our quarantine (all caps for emphasis, I'm not angry). Did you see that Japanese baseball is planning on playing games with robots in the stands? Freaky! But I'd love to see the first time a line drive foul ball took one out! Danger Will Robinson! I think I owe Wes and apology. I didn't mean to shame him with my joke about his "wall art," and make him move to another room for his videos. Stay healthy!

What I wanna know is will there be a robot in the stands telling everyone to sit down? As far as the wall art, that actually was my parents' house. With a 2-year-old and a dog, you can't always guarantee getting a half hour of continuous quiet. However, my wife and I devised a plan to have my son and the dog in the backyard while I'm recording. So I'm back in my home office.