Inbox: He's put on a hard-countin' clinic

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zfolzhktbu73xpwsuvwf

John from Grayling, MI

I know you referred to him as Money Mason, but seriously... Mason Crosby was 7-of-7 on his kicks including two FGs 49 yards or longer and the Packers needed each and every one of them. I know he gets a lot of love in the II, but you can't over-appreciate that kind of dependability. Was there any recognition for Crosby from the coaches after the game?

I wasn't in the locker room but there's always recognition for Crosby. It's why he's a team captain and there's no doubt he's in a groove right now. More on that next Monday.

Thomas from Cedar Rapids, IA

It was easy to see the stars of the game Sunday – Rodgers, Lazard, Za'Darius Smith, Robert Tonyan, Aaron Jones, but we had some nice performances from unexpected sources. Kingsley Keke, Summers, Jonathan Garvin were in on a lot of plays. And did you notice Tyler Lancaster on Kamara's long TD was down there at the goal line? Great hustle! And it is almost something we have come to expect but thank goodness for Mason Crosby! The guy is rock steady.

Lancaster's second effort was the lone positive on that run. If you ever wanted to know how hot the fire burns inside Lancaster, put on the film of that play. Keke and Garvin gave the Packers good minutes, too. Keke showed what he offers as a pass rusher, particularly in that second quarter, while Garvin played with his hair on fire late. He's raw but the energy was there.

Jake from Athens, GA

Wes, I hope you heard Mike Tirico refer to Tonyan as "Big Bob" a couple of times on the national broadcast. What a performance by him and so many other undrafted guys. If you ask me, Gutekunst can draft as many first-round QBs as he wants, as long as he keep signing gems like Tonyan, Lazard, Chandon Sullivan, and Krys Barnes. Every one of them contributed in a big way this week. Pedigree =/= potential!

I can't claim ownership of the nickname like Michael Cohen can of "TBLS," but I am happy to play a small role in bringing "Big Bob" to the mainstream with that profile we posted on him two years ago.

Guilherme from Lins, Brazil

After the "run the table," "we've got a defense" and so many more warning statements from Rodgers, is "I feel so much more comfortable in the offense this year" the one for this season?

Either that one or "I noticed something from a clip from 2010 actually." How meta would it be if at the end of the year, after the Packers raise the Lombardi, Rodgers is asked once more what he saw on tape? To which the now-three-time MVP plainly replies, "My smile."

Will from Fayetteville, AR

Say what you want about this defense, but looking at the pass to No. 17 at the 1:20ish mark in the third quarter, where Kevin King makes the heads up play to try and knock the ball out if the receiver gets careless when he is not yet down. That's a heads-up play, and that's smart football. I don't think they're that far off.

The defense started with a three-and-out before falling into a lull. Za'Darius Smith forcing Hill to fumble was arguably the biggest play of the evening. The Packers' defense settled down after that takeaway and contained New Orleans to a three-and-out on its next possession to seal the win.

Sean from Portland, NE

I remember a few years ago Ty Montgomery jumped his feet out of bounds to touch a kickoff that was near the pylon and GB was given the ball at the 40. Very heads-up play. My question is for the spinning onside kick, could a receiving member do this before the ball goes 10 yards if it is close enough to the sideline? Would it immediately be a dead ball when touched and given to the receiving team?

It's my understanding the penalty would be the same regardless of whether it spun out of bounds or Sternberger steps out of bounds and grabs the ball. The Packers got the best of both worlds and didn't have to worry about an accidental fumble.

Scott from Wausau, WI

Seems as though Matt LaFleur is reluctant to use Rodgers for a quarterback sneak. Why not have a play where a sure-handed receiver comes under center to take the snap in a quick manor?

Because taking a snap and carrying the ball is different than catching a pass. Taysom Hill is a quarterback by trade and you saw Sunday night what can happen when the ball isn't properly secured.

Kevin from Indy, IN

Across the league scoring is up from last year so far, and Rodgers has been fantastic with the hard count. Do you think fans should take away from this an affirmed belief in our ability to affect a game, particularly at home? I would imagine that, while the circumstances leading to limited fans is horrible for everyone, the NFL has to like the thought of fans feeling like important contributors from a ticket sales standpoint.

The relationship between the NFL and its fans is special. I already knew that, but this setup has still taught me a thing or two about how essential crowds are to the game, both strategically and from a game-presentation standpoint. The home opener against the Lions was flat-out weird.