Inbox: He deserves the spotlight

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rajv22vy0huma7jxqysk

Jeff from Athens, WI

A lot of quiet Sundays to come and there is also the new XFL coming soon. My question is do you think the Packers or other teams will pay attention to this new league as a potential resource to identify players they could add to their rosters? Seems to me that would be a really good indicator as to whether or not a player can handle the workload of practice during the week and still be able to perform on game day.

The Packers signed three former CFL players after the 2019 season ended, so they'll definitely be monitoring the XFL this spring. With how the schedule is formatted, it's conceivable its top players could pop right into an offseason program once the season is over.

Ethan from La Crosse, WI

Hey Insiders, what's on the burner to keep us entertained in the offseason? I'm sure you have some more in-depth pieces in the works. Care to give us any little promo?

I have a couple stokes in the fire but nothing big planned for February. I did speak with LeRoy Butler on Tuesday for a story. He had some interesting things to say that'll be worth your time.

Matthias from San Antonio, TX

We are seeing LeRoy Butler, who was the archetype to the superstar safety, being snubbed from the Hall of Fame year after year. But when I see Sterling Sharpe being snubbed or not even talked about. Sharpe should have been a Hall of Fame player in the same fashion as Gale Sayers. His stats as a receiver were better than Jerry Rice!

Sharpe's candidacy is unique because he's unquestionably one of the best receivers to ever play the game. However, his career was cut short due to injury and his success came right before the Packers were back in the national spotlight. His modern-era window has passed, so he'd have to go the senior route now. Spoff spoke with Sharpe two years ago at the NFL Honors ceremony and Sterling seems at peace with whatever the future holds.

Todd from Hales Corners, WI

You had a question about the reserve/futures contracts given by teams. You gave an odd answer-perhaps you do not know what the contracts entail. The question was really asking what the player gets for money and rights, not what players get the contract. Duh, we can see who gets them.

You guys are way too wrapped up on this futures contract thing. If you found my answer to be basic, it's because the question was incredibly basic. Unless it's a high-profile CFL signing (e.g. Tre Roberson), there's rarely upfront money or signing bonuses. The contracts are simply what a player would earn should he make the 53-man roster in September – and it's always at the base minimum. That's it. Now if you want to know what their 401K options are or how much their co-pay is at the doctor's office, bother Spoff about it.

Geoffrey from Rosemount, MN

I feel like the Super Bowl odds for the Packers with the sixth best odds are about right. I feel like the Bills are being massively disrespected being lumped together with the Bears, Falcons, Chargers and Raiders. Anything stand out to you guys on the early odds list?

I agree on the Bills, especially since an argument could be made Josh Allen is the best of the four QBs taken in the top 10 of the 2018 NFL Draft. The other thing that stands out to me is the hype train picking up steam in Dallas. The expectations are high for McCarthy in Year 1.

Scott from Berrien Center, MI

Speaking of not wanting to be on the NFL's radar during specific months…Congratulations to the Packers for postponing any potential "Hard Knocks" appearance for several more years.

Do any of you agree the "Hard Knocks" format has reached a level of staleness on par with the loaf of bread you forgot about in the back of your cupboard? I've watched it since the beginning but it's become rinse-and-repeat. Not to mention some teams are doing their own shows now, too.

Kyle from Carlisle, IA

Hey Insiders, What are your thoughts on Deion Sanders' opinion of too many players being allowed in the HOF? Part of me agrees with the statement as there are a lot of players who were leaders of their time, but not game-changers. Thank you for all of the great articles and excellent team site. Other teams do not compare to you.

I found his words disappointing and unfortunate. These are individuals who dedicated their lives to the sport, many of whom helped break down barriers for Sanders and those who came after. If it's me, I'd look to embrace that – not tear it down.

Lex from Chicago, IL

Where did you watch the Super Bowl?

I watched the first half at home with my family. Once my wife put our son down, I drove over to my parents' house to watch the second half with my dad, while working on Inbox.

Chuck from Gold Canyon, AZ

Some talk the league and NFLPA might be getting close to a ten year extension but with the 17th game and safety-related discussions I don't see this as a slam dunk. Why the optimism?

The history of negotiations between the two sides and the shared desire to avoid a work stoppage.

Dale from Prescott, WI

Wes, you were right and I was wrong. Apparently many people enjoyed the halftime show. I stand corrected!

It's not about being right or wrong. Everyone has his or her own preferences with music and performance. My point was it takes a lot for there to be widespread approval of these halftime shows.

Gordon from Shell Beach, CA

So you can't answer any of my questions but you can answer a question of how your oil change went. You're the boss.

Just in case you needed a reminder of who runs the bingo.

Eric from Oshkosh, WI

I have been reading the II regularly for a number of years. I also listen to "Packers Unscripted" on podcast. I love both of them, but I have one suggestion: The intro that Spoff does ("Hi everyone. Welcome to Packers Unscripted.") follows some great rock n' roll music and yet it almost always sounds a little hesitant. It could use a little more pep so it matches the tone that I imagine in my head when I read "Good Morning!" in the Inbox! (Sorry. It's the offseason. That's all I got).

Spoff will be back soon. I'll work with him on developing a "Good Morning, Vietnam" intro for Season 5.

HAVE A QUESTION?