Inbox: He has all the makings of a perennial All-Pro

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
eo1cem49f6wzwxmqtthw

Dale from Lima, NY

Given the current (well, whatever's current when you read this) situation with free agency and cap limitations -- and assuming the Packers' first pick remains where it is right now -- which position would you target for Green Bay's first-round pick? O-line? D-line? DB? Something else? Or would it depend entirely on who's still available 28 picks in?

This is a popular question every year around this time, but 2018 and 2019 were the only times the Packers were picking at a spot where I felt I could accurately project who might be available. Both years, cornerback and outside rusher made sense. Sitting back at 29, everything depends on who's left on the board if the Packers stand pat. But both sides of the line and defensive back all make sense based on players the Packers have lost so far to free agency.

Craig from Brookfield, WI

Fans tend to forget draft picks who don't start or make a significant impact in Year 1 or 2. Which developing 2019 or 2020 Packers picks have the best chance to make an impact this year? And, do you have the NCAA tourney on while answering my question...or do I have your full attention?

No NCAA Tourney while writing Inbox for me. You all have my full, undivided attention. I think Kingsley Keke is on the verge of becoming a game-wrecker for this defense if he can stay healthy. Vernon Scott did some nice things last year, as well, for the defense. With Raven Greene and Will Redmond both free agents, Scott could jump in as a dime safety. He has the frame to play close to the line of scrimmage.

Joe from Bloomington, IN

Couple questions. If Kyle Fuller is cut and then signed by another team, does he count against compensatory picks next year? In addition to the veteran benefit you mentioned, are there any other ways to get a discount?

Since the Bears terminated Fuller's contract, he doesn't count towards the compensatory equation. I'm sure that was attractive for the Broncos before they signed Fuller.

Bill from Forest Park, OH

Wes said, "Tim Boyle has earned the right to show what he can do…beyond kneel downs and coin tosses." Very true, however, wasn't photobombing the gameday team captains photo also one of his core responsibilities with the Packers? This is a crucial pregame ritual, after all! Also, Greg wasn't the only reader to catch Friday's "Hellraiser" reference. Some of us just sit quietly in the gallery and enjoy the show. (Well, most of the time.)

Shame on me. How could I have forgotten about the photobombs?

Dan from Eau Claire, WI

The Packers are a team that luckily has had two great QBs for a long time. That situation has afforded the Pack to draft, sign, develop backup QBs and then trade them for something down the road. I'm wondering what the Packers have gotten for each backup QB in the Favre/Rodgers era. Did the Packers trade them (and for what) or did they release them? Thanks, guys. Great work!

The Packers traded Matt Hasselbeck to Seattle for a third-round pick, and the teams also swapped first-rounders. In 2000, Aaron Brooks and tight end Lamont Hall were dealt to New Orleans for K.D. Williams and a third-round pick (later traded to San Francisco), and finally Brett Hundley was shipped to Seattle for a sixth-round pick.

Kyle from Appleton, WI

Good morning. With the franchise tag perceived as negative by players, why is the fifth-year option OK for first-round picks? Would the pay be similar with the two extension options? Thanks.

Because it's pretty good money for a fifth-year player and agents can use that as a starting point for long-term negations. It certainly did in Kenny Clark's case. I want to say most fifth-year options were more than $10 million for players who have appeared in at least one Pro Bowl.