Inbox: He isn’t flying under any radars

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ha3hkp0w7qpsi8ksmphg

Jeff from Fayetteville, NC

My grandson is a senior in high school. I attended his final baseball game last night. They lost 2-1, but were definitely the better team. More hits, fewer errors, pitching was on...just a few breaks that did not go their way. In your opinion, is the better team always the team that wins?

Not at all, especially in baseball. But that’s why seasons aren’t just one game, and one-and-done postseason structures can be equally exhilarating and frustrating.

Steve from Plainfield, WI

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more bell cows!

Nicely done.

Justin from Dacula, GA

Which members of this decade's extraordinary Seattle defense would you predict make it into the Hall of Fame?

Bobby Wagner is the top choice, for sure, and he might be only halfway done at this point. Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman will get consideration as well, but I don’t think their candidacies will be as strong as Wagner’s.

David from Appleton, WI

I remember reading Packer Report when I was a child and one letter to the editor (Cliff Christl) lamented how the Packers were not playing well, how they needed to boost their defensive production, and where should the writer send his suggestions to the coaching staff. Cliff, in his gentle manner, told the writer to not send the letter, but rather go outside, teach his children how to love the outdoors, and spend time with family. Is Cliff still this insightful today?

Bob from Racine, WI

Insiders, in the investment business, a common saying is: "Past performance is no guarantee of future performance." The same is true for sports. The managers, scouts, etc., can do everything right in evaluating talent, making trades and drafting players. But that doesn't guarantee success on the field. We need to give management, coaches, and scouts credit for doing their best to create winning teams. Their reputations are on the line every time they recommend a player. Let's respect that.

Whether in the investment business or sports, in the end, all that matters are the results, and everyone involved knows what’s at stake.

Dan from Allen, TX

RE: Meagan from IL question as to whether football season misses her. Megan, the answer is "Yes." For me, it started at around the age of 6. I knew that I needed football, and that football needed me. The times with my friends in the vacant lot playing pickup games. Only three guys? A game of kickoff return. Packer football and I were meant to be lifetime partners. Question: With the offense being new, is it unreasonable to think the D might carry this team early while the O gets it together?

I get what you’re saying, but what sounds “unreasonable” to me is talking about a defense carrying a team quarterbacked by Aaron Rodgers. I expect there to be times early, particularly in the first two games against very good Chicago and Minnesota defenses, for Green Bay’s defense to need to rise to the occasion at certain points in those games for the Packers to emerge victorious. But I think I’d be saying that regardless. As I’ve noted before, ultimately you want a complementary team – one whose offense can pick up a struggling defense at certain junctures, and one whose defense can maintain momentum once it’s been seized by the offense, and vice versa, etc. Consistency is almost a fruitless goal in such an ultra-competitive environment. Managing and maximizing the various important moments is what it really comes down to.

Judy from Channing, MI

My husband asked me the passcode on my phone. I said, “Rodgers to Nelson.” He was frustrated and didn’t understand. I’m thankful for II, and a community who gets it.

Sure thing.

Mike from St. Paul, MN

Spoff, if you're going to Winnipeg, Go to "Joey's" for that beer. You won't be disappointed.

Duly noted. Happy Friday, everyone.

HAVE A QUESTION?