Inbox: He personified toughness

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
mlig6bqnx2hxn4nvw5rr

Dan from Cross Plains, WI

Since all scoring plays are reviewed, do you think there will ever be a play where the offense scores a TD on a pick play, the refs miss the PI call, but scoring review determines offensive PI and nullifies the TD?

A close reading of the new rule language indicates this is entirely possible. With regard to automatic reviews, it reads “all reviewable aspects of the play may be examined and are subject to reversal,” and PI is now a reviewable aspect. Unless I’m misinterpreting something, a defensive coach won’t need to throw a challenge flag to review offensive PI if the play results in a touchdown.

Cameron from Springville, UT

What does the Jordan Howard trade mean for us? I think one of the reasons the Bears did really well is because they had a balanced attack, so who will be the main running back for them? I think without Howard, the Bears might need to pass more, and it will really test our secondary. Thoughts?

I don’t see Matt Nagy abandoning the run, if that’s what you’re thinking. They still have Tarik Cohen, and they signed Mike Davis in free agency. Cordarelle Patterson is another option, after the way the Patriots used him in the backfield last year. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bears add a young back in the draft, though they only have five picks, and two of those are seventh-rounders. To answer Monty from Hazen, ND, the Bears must have felt Howard just didn’t fit Nagy’s offense very well.

Brandon from East Brunswick, NJ

Hey guys! Longtime reader but never asked a question. I've been away from the II for a bit recently so forgive me if this question has already been asked, but if the league decides to implement the fourth-and-15 method over the traditional onside kick, don't you think you'd see a lot of hot offenses going for that option anytime throughout the game when they have a defense on the ropes? I know it's a huge risk/reward scenario, but I can see this being abused from its initially intended purpose.

For the record, the fourth-and-15 proposal as an alternative to the onside kick that was voted down stipulated teams would only be able to try it once per game, and it would have to be in the fourth quarter.

Bill from Savannah, GA

Now that the floodgates have cracked a little bit with the PI calls being challengeable, how many teams/players will have to endure the type of treatment Clay Matthews got last season before roughing the passer is also eligible for challenges or review? It's not unreasonable to think we could have been 9-7, at least, without the egregious bias we saw.

I’ve been saying for years the league should add safety-related rules to the list of reviewable plays, whether you’re talking hits on defenseless receivers, body weight on the QB, etc. I think those are extremely difficult to call correctly at live speed and not have replay as a recourse.

Curt from Oronoco, MN

Is the throwing of the challenge flag reviewable?

Nicely done.

Garett from Medford, WI

Hi guys, it's naive to think the new PI rule is just going to correct the egregious calls. Anyone who pays attention can see that this is going to open an enormous can of worms. There's some form of pass interference on every play downfield. Jim from McLean, VA was spot on saying "What is PI" will replace "What is a catch?"

You and he may be right. I prefer to believe, for now, that added scrutiny to PI calls will help define the difference between downfield contact and actual interference. In a sense, yes, “What is PI” will be the question for a while, but over time we’ll get clarity, so maybe we’re actually speaking the same language, just with a different attitude.

Thomas from Dunkerton, IA

Comparing minor league baseball to AAF is comparing apples to oranges. In baseball, the major league teams may not own the actual franchise, but they own the team. The players and coaches are their own. In the AAF they are all free agents. Until the NFL has a minor league system where they "own" the players, an alternate football league in this country will always teeter on failure.

Again, speaking the same language.

Andy from Verona, WI

With Jordy Nelson retiring and the success of the Wisconsin professional teams, I started thinking about which old-school jerseys I would get from each of the three teams. I came up with Jim Taylor, Paul Molitor, and Ricky Pierce. What would be your trio of old-school jerseys?

You putting both Taylor and Molitor in the “old-school” category doesn’t jibe with me, but getting away from that nebulous definition, the collection of 4’s would be hard to pass up – Favre, Molitor, Moncrief.