Inbox: He was the best of us

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
aqkfl6popzbgjshe7k6b

Gayle from Dallas, TX

Sometime between 1968 and 1971, when my dad was a Boy Scout district executive in the Southern Wisconsin area, he was trying to get a top-notch speaker for an event honoring boys who had earned their Eagle Scout. He somehow got Ray Nitschke’s number. Ray agreed to do it and said “Can I bring a friend with me?” The night of the event Ray stepped off the elevator and his friend shook my dad’s hand, saying “Hi, I’m Bart Starr.” And proceeded to deliver a wonderful message to some very lucky Boy Scouts.

Joshua from Appleton, WI

So rare is a person of Starr's character and class. He will be greatly missed.

Todd from Brighton, MI

My uncle, a HS football coach, was able to be with the Packers coaches for a day back in 1979. He told Bart Starr that he had a 13-year-old nephew that was a huge Packer fan. Later that summer, my family came to Green Bay. I got to personally meet Bart Starr in the lobby of old stadium area. He put his arm around me and asked me a few questions. I got an amazing tour of the facilities, and locker room and scouting area by Bob Harlan. Still one of the most memorable events in my life. Very different times.

Rich from Southampton, UK

I started watching the NFL in 1982. I chose the Packers after their 35-23 comeback win over the Rams was shown on UK TV. I had no knowledge of Bart Starr as a player; just as a coach. That I and many others have learned so much about him and his place in NFL history, even though we've never seen him play, speaks to his stature as a person. How many have seen their reputation grow so much after they stopped playing? To me and countless others, he personified the Packers. RIP Bart.

Glenn from Lapel, IN

He was more than just a football guy. He was a great man. My oldest boy wore out the 50 cent paperback he read it so many times.

Eric from St. Jacob, IL

My heartfelt condolences to the Starr family. He was a great man, and a great quarterback. In the early '70s, at Pink Panther Ski Hill for my brother's birthday, Bart came off the top of the tow rope, headed towards the top of the hill, and promptly ran right over the top of me. But he caught me and kind of laid me down in the snow, then immediately came around to make sure I was OK. Boy, was I ever OK, getting to talk to the quarterback and the coach. A great memory of a Wisconsin childhood!

Tom from Pine River, WI

I hope Bart's years as the Packers' head coach won't be overlooked. The team may not have won many big games, but when they did, he made a point to bring his players back on the field to thank the fans. That's rare. God bless Bart Starr and his family.

Rod from Middletown, NJ

Dear Insiders, I know you will have a million Packer fans writing in about Bart Starr. To me, he will always be the greatest of Green Bay's quarterbacks. I saw him play live in the Lombardi era and I had the chance to meet him in 2010. He was amazingly gracious and accommodating to help me get a photo. A true gentleman that I will always appreciate the time he spent with me. Thank you Bart!