Inbox: He’d have to be considered

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
toezcmlnpgcvxf9grpih

Todd from Brighton, MI

Will the Packers face back-to-back rookie quarterbacks when they take on the Giants and Redskins late in the year? It isn’t who you play, but when you play them, right?

True, but there’s no way to know in June if New York and Washington will be turning their offenses over to the rookies in December. Manning and Keenum, respectively, will probably start Week 1 and go from there.

Ken from Cuyahoga Falls, OH

How do punt returners and kick returners practice? How do the coaches know if a player has what it takes to be a returner? If there is tape from college or a former NFL team, they can study that. However, if they have never done it what do they look for in practice? Do they have them field punts/kickoffs at full speed in practice?

Yes, all the time. They’ll do everything full speed in practice except tackling, though with young players the most important reps are in the preseason games. Either way, it’s one of those things you can tell who’s got a natural aptitude for it and who doesn’t.

Paul from Shoreview, MN

Is there another division in the NFL that will be as competitive as the NFC North? Seems like there is the potential for three really good teams to emerge in 2019.

I’d put the AFC North, NFC West and NFC South in the same category.

Jake from Shoreview, MN

In your opinion, which road game is "THE" road game to attend this year?

Kansas City.

Forrest from Greenbow, AL

A while back I read an article about how Bill Belichick compared his punter to a golfer needing various clubs (driver, wedge, etc.) to put the ball in the right spot. Do you see JK Scott being able to do a better job in those situations this coming season?

That’ll be enough movie stars in the Inbox, but I think Scott has all those clubs in his bag. He’s mentioned in multiple interviews he got worn down physically last season, and provided he manages the grind better in his second year, all his clubs will become more effective.

Dennis from Wisconsin Rapids, WI

One of the things I've always enjoyed is how Rodgers gets "free plays" by catching the opponent’s defense with 12 men on the field. Would I be correct in assuming LaFleur's scheme won't change that potential?

It depends how much no-huddle they run.

Brad from Denver, CO

Mike or Wes, after reading the Inbox/Ask Vic for several years now I've noticed that posts regularly refer to the Packers as “we” or “our,” etc., when discussing the team. In your experience does this possessive sense seem more prevalent to fans of the Packers or is it common league-wide?

It’s everywhere, and it’s more prevalent with positive comments than negative ones, naturally.

Paul from Minneapolis, MN

With the Bears celebrating their 100th anniversary, several interesting stories are out about their history. This includes a story about Charles Bidwell of the Cards helping the Bears, similar to how George Halas helped the early Packers. Are there any modern-day examples of how current owners cooperate for the good of the league, or is that a bygone era?

It’s all built in now. The TV contracts are negotiated nationally, visiting teams get a percentage of the gate, the revenue sharing pool helps teams that can’t generate as much from their stadiums, etc.

Guilherme from Lins, Brazil

Regarding the idea of an NFL team for the last 25 years, how many Packers in your list?

I haven’t given it much thought. Favre and Rodgers would have to be considered, as would Reggie White, Charles Woodson and Julius Peppers. I’d have to study the landscape a lot more to know if guys like Jordy Nelson or Clay Matthews would belong.

Joe from Dundee, IL

Mike, you mentioned your 2.5 baseball tools. May I guess that those were hitting, but not for power, accurate throwing, and something else? No offense to you, but I do not see you as a speed demon, so not a base stealer.

Of the five tools (run, throw, field, hit and hit for power), I actually could run back in the day. My freshman year in college I clocked a 3.9 home to first. I could also field and hit a bit, so that’s why I gave myself 2½ tools. But I had little power, and my arm, while accurate, was not the strongest. Pretty typical profile for a D-III, non-scholarship player.