Inbox: Here's a bit of trivia Packers fans will appreciate

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
squabl4qpg9bwqyyj5jx

Malcolm from Fennimore, WI

So if I understand voidable contract years correctly, let's say a player has a $5M bonus but only a one-year contract and four voidable years. That would mean he is paid $1M bonus this year. Then the remaining $4M bonus all comes due next year when his contract voids?

Not exactly. He's paid the entire bonus when he signs, but only $1M of it counts on the cap the first year. The rest must count on the cap when the contract voids, but depending on how the team wants to handle the timing of the void, it could have just $1M of bonus proration count in Year 2 and the remaining $3M count in Year 3.

Matt from Waterloo, IA

Dear Mike/Wes, love your column and have been reading it daily for years. With Tim Boyle being signed by the Lions do you see the Packers bringing in a veteran this year to compete with Jordan Love for the backup spot? Someone along the lines of a Brian Hoyer or even bringing back Brett Hundley?

No. Love will be the No. 2 this year. I expect a late-round draft pick or UDFA to be brought in as a No. 3 developmental prospect.

Packer 1919 from Cedar Rapids, IA

Am I the only one who is not excited about an overseas "home" game for the Packers? Is this "taking one for the team," where it expands the reach, interest and popularity of the NFL? But won't the local economy take a huge hit by having one less home game? Plus, I'm like you, I would love EVERY single game at noon on Sundays!

You're not alone. There are plenty of fans/readers who would rather not see the Packers travel overseas. But on its face it's rather absurd a storied franchise like Green Bay is the only one to not have played an international game to date. Mark Murphy has been steadfast in refusing to give up a home game to "take one for the team" as you say. The only way it happens now is if the local economy is already getting the usual eight regular-season games, which seems fair to me. As for the noon games, I hope my comment from last week about night games was not misconstrued. We all know what it means when every game is at noon and your team is never in the national spotlight. I would just rather not have the league increase the night-game maximum (it can already be exceeded with flex scheduling anyway) because they really are the toughest to handle from a work standpoint over the long haul. The Packers are in prime time plenty already, as far as I'm concerned. That's all I meant.

Andy from Lancaster, PA

Good morning II! If you have multiple prospects, at the same position, graded very similarly when it's your turn to draft, what do you do? Do you trade back a few spots and just take whoever is left when it's your turn again? Or is there some sort of tiebreaker, like a player's character or background, that might make you pick one from the group?

Either the grades are close enough and you'd be happy with any of the players in the cluster, which means you trade back if you can, or they're not and you won't be. It's one or the other. If you want to trade back and can't find a partner, then you split hairs.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

SF gave up three first-round picks to move up to the third pick in this draft. With the Sam Darnold trade it would stand to reason that SF will be getting the third QB available in the draft. Does that seem high from a historical perspective? For as coveted as QBs are I still don't recall a draft ever going three QBs in a row.

It's happened twice. In 1999, the first three picks in the draft were Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb and Akili Smith. In 1971, it went Jim Plunkett, Archie Manning and Dan Pastorini. Here's a bit of trivia Packers fans will appreciate. The fourth QB taken in the '71 draft? Lynn Dickey, in the third round, by the Oilers, who had already used the No. 3 overall pick on Pastorini.

George from North Mankato, MN

Although it would have likely meant the perfect season was lost, how much do you think playing Baylor in December could have helped the Zags?

It wouldn't have hurt, but it also would've cut both ways. I think getting to cruise to victory in the semifinal on Saturday night like Baylor did would have helped Gonzaga more. Baylor is a great team and probably the better team regardless, but I think UCLA had a lot to do with how those first 10 minutes went Monday night.

Mark from Byron, IL

Maybe one day this week more than half the questions presented can be about the Green Bay Packers and not about stealing lunches, Brewers hitting woes, or what would you do if you had a crystal ball! I understand this is the "offseason," but REALLY? It is beginning to be tough to read.

More than 2,000 words a day, six days a week, equals more than 624,000 words in this column alone in a given year. If channeling a few thousand toward diversionary entertainment is not to your liking, you're entitled to a refund.

Don from Swaledale, IA

Hey Mike, do the Brewers need hats for bats?

Jobu might have shown up last night. I hope he sticks around this afternoon. Happy Wednesday.

HAVE A QUESTION?