Inbox: He’s part of the solution

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
q4fzpy6cabxhe9zl9dek

Edward from Canton, SD

Wes says watching old Packers games on NFL Network is a waste of time. I disagree. I believe every Packers offensive coach and player should watch the second half only of the season-opener SNF game against the Bears. The Packers scored 24 points in one half by mixing runs with short passes and only one “bomb.” So, just keep making first downs until you run out of field, and fans need to see CM III almost blowing the game with a late hit on the Bears QB.

Please don’t get my words twisted. I’m fine with fans watching old Packers games. All I was saying is if I want to watch open-heart surgery, I’d rather turn on Discovery Health.

Connor from Waukesha, WI

Yosh Nijman should be moved to DL to see what he can do if he can't make it as OL. That dude has got some athleticism. Also, I had a dream that he was going to be a Pro Bowler, if he made the switch. It was a little blurry so I couldn't see it, so I wonder what number he would wear.

Congrats Connor. This has to be some kind of record for wanting to move a rookie to a new position. I mean we haven’t even gotten to organized team activities yet.

Garrett from Austin, TX

Hi II, my question stems from Mike's answer about Ryan Taylor being TT's biggest cut regret. I didn't recall his career after the Packers. I thought perhaps he went to an AFC team and turned his career around but didn't find anything to that effect. Could you elaborate why you chose Ryan Taylor as your example?

I can’t believe how that reply went over the head of so many.

Jon from West Des Moises, IA

Will Montravius Adams have a breakout year or will it be too difficult with the depth at that position?

Athletes can’t look at it like that. Position battles need to bring the best out of players. If the player doesn’t respond well to competition, then they won’t be around very long. Adams took a step forward last year and needs to stay on that path.

Al from Green Bay, WI

“I feel like it was meant to be. I feel like this is the perfect place for me” – from Dexter Williams as quoted by Wes. Nice article! I appreciate that Dexter wants to be in green and gold. With that said (at the risk of appearing to be a cynic), isn't that pretty much a paraphrase of every draft pick by every team? I have yet to read that a Minnesota draft choice said, "Yea, Minnesota is OK, but I sure wish Green Bay would have drafted me!"

It’s tough and works both ways. Coming out of USC, Nick Perry said he’d rather play in a 4-3 and that comment came back to haunt him for years. The only way to judge it is to take into account their energy – and Williams definitely appears thrilled to be here.

Chet from Mission Viejo, CA

Insiders, I love playing the “would you rather” game. So here goes. Would you rather the Packers have a great GM/scouting department and an average head coach/assistant coaches? Or would you rather have the reverse?

A man I greatly respect in this business once told me: “There were a lot of years Bill Belichick the GM was lucky he had Bill Belichick the coach.” Given that maxim, I’d say the latter.

Evan from Middleton, WI

Why do you think we don't see more NFL teams tanking for draft position like in the NBA?

That’s a good question. There are fewer games, so maybe that has something to do with it. I’d also say, with a few exceptions of consensus generational players such as Cam Newton and Andrew Luck, the pool of top-caliber players is larger in the NFL than the NBA.

Sandy form Green Bay, WI

I have enjoyed seeing the cross-sport support at the Bucks games as the cameras pan the stands and focus on Packers and Brewers players and personnel. Their presence at the games gets the crowd engaged and causes quite a stir in the stands. Is this support reciprocated during football season with Brewers and Bucks personnel attending games at Lambeau?

Brewers and Bucks players have been attending Packers games for as long as I can remember. Heck, Giannis was at Lambeau this past fall. News flash – he’s tall.

Brian from Schertz, TX

Let’s say the editor of another NFL team website called you and said they are contemplating a feature similar to Insider Inbox. He or she asks if they should do it and also asks for some advice. How would you reply?

If you’re going in with only two writers, you better have patient writers…and those patient writers better have understanding spouses.

John from Miami, FL

OMG to speak your language Wes, for God's sake stop with the "I agree with you, Michael.” The man calls himself Mike, it's annoying as hell. I have tried to tolerate your commentary just because you are on packers.com, but it seems a bit much, pretentious even. If you are trying to give respect I guess that’s different but it seems too millennial to me. I guess if he doesn't care nor should I, but it's just annoying for me. Miss Vic, I guess even though he was a smidge crotchety.

I’m the millennial? I’m not the one starting my comment with “OMG,” Johnny Boy. You’re welcome, though, for editing this comment so it was discernable to our readers.

Jeff from Vandenberg AFB, CA

Wes, I need your help with something. My wife and I are going to Europe for the first time today. She doesn’t watch GoT. How should I watch the finale? Do I wake up early on Monday and watch it on my phone or do I wait until I get back in two weeks and risk spoilers? Thanks.

Safe travels. I was flying the evening Episode 3 aired last month, so I removed Twitter from my phone and turned off all notifications. Once I got to the hotel, I ordered pizza and watched it on my laptop. There was no way I was waiting until I got home Wednesday night.

Sean from Suamico, WI

How will “Game of Thrones” end? Will Rodgers be resurrected to take his rightful place on the Iron Throne?

Whatever characters are still alive carry the Iron Throne down to the scrapyard and they start a democracy. To the “II/Thrones” fans out there, I hope you enjoy the last ride Sunday night.

HAVE A QUESTION?