Inbox: It'll be interesting to track the depth charts

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rwp0kzuhim5coaof3vak

Jim from Chelsea, WI

I have a follow-up question to Michael from Novato, CA. Is there data comparing Mason Crosby's stats outside vs. domes? I just wonder if he's consistent in both arenas? I sure can't remember him missing many indoors.

I don't have all the numbers in front of me (if a reader wants to tackle this research, be my guest), but I can tell you Crosby's seven longest field goals, from 56 to 58 yards, which are also the seven longest in team history, were all kicked on the road, and four of them indoors. His longest kicks outdoors were 57 at the Meadowlands (Nov. 2013), 56 at Philadelphia (Sept. 2010), and 56 at Denver (Nov. 2015). His longest at Lambeau is a 55-yarder in 2014.

Randy from Westminster, CO

With all the talk of there now being 17 games in the NFL season, do you believe football careers will get shorter? Or does it even out with the new player safety rules?

Any additional regular-season games do increase the odds of major injuries, but the limited offseason work and more stringent rules for training camps (no more two-a-days) give players, on balance, a greater opportunity for longer careers now.

Mark from Sheboygan, WI

Was LeRoy Butler the first edition of the star? If not, to whom can we further trace it back?

Totally different scheme, but he was utilized in similar ways by Fritz Shurmur, yes. The Steelers used Rod Woodson like that, too. To go back any further, I'd be guessing.

David from Appleton, WI

The life of an assistant coach is itinerant at best, with seemingly constant movement the norm, added to the fact the hours are abysmal. This can't be healthy for family life. With the relative calm of the head coaching situation in Green Bay since the 1990s, does this make the Packers a wanted commodity? Or is this simply just an added benefit?

Assistant coaches are evaluated thoroughly by their bosses just like the players are. They still have to perform and get results. It's a precarious, high-pressure existence with any franchise, really.

Scott from Noblesville, IN

Every season "stopping the run, getting a lead, and forcing the opposition to become one-dimensional" are among both the "coach speak" and "analyst's keys" we fans hear. SF twice in '19 and MN last season are PAINFUL examples in which the run was never close to being stopped. Without No. 12, getting leads seems much less likely in '21. So, my question is, are there specific ways you feel our team has strengthened our run defense this offseason?

That's impossible for me to answer, not knowing Joe Barry's approach and how he plans to deploy different fronts. While there's room to improve, the Packers finished tied for 13th in the league in run defense last year, and they allowed only three other 100-yard rushers aside from Dalvin Cook's big game in Week 8 you referenced. Ten times, including in the NFC title game, the opponent's leading rusher had fewer than 60 yards. I'd take that again.