Inbox: It's a cool part of his legacy

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
fkyiozgnihdzcus93hox

Charlie from Morgan Hill, CA

Fans make it all possible yet we have absolutely no influence in affecting the final outcome of the Aaron Rodgers situation. I feel so useless and helpless, but the Packers can count on me to cheer as loud as ever at the 49ers game regardless of who's under center. If you could pick one word to describe your take on what the fan base is feeling, what would it be?

Rich from Miami Gardens, FL

The easiest way to deal with uncertainty is to realize it will be OK no matter how it turns out. I think both sides are bluffing a little: Rodgers doesn't hold a hand of "I'd rather retire than play for Green Bay again," but the Packers don't have a hand of "we won't trade him" either, and somebody is going to fold before the river. Don't we either get Rodgers back, or the trade price has got to be north of two firsts, a third and a decent player and we get a big cap advantage? Both sound nice.

The best way for this to work out is for both sides to put all their cards on the table.

Jeff from Brooklyn, WI

Why is it fans always complain about draft picks the night they're picked, then two to four years later those same fans are complimenting them as good players?

For the same reason a teenager goes off to college thinking his parents are the dumbest people on the planet, and after getting his degree he's stunned at how much they've learned in four years.

TK from Grafton, WI

What's the best way for a rookie to (favorably) catch a coach's eye during OTAs/practices?

In drill work, show the ability to apply the proper technique, or at least the willingness if it's new and just been taught. In seven-on-seven or 11-on-11 work, prove knowledge of the playbook by being in the right place and understanding your assignment every snap.

Aaron from Brooklyn, NY

Your response about Sebastian Janikowski got me looking at the 2000 draft to see who the Raiders could have taken instead, and I realized just how good of a draft it was for the Packers: two 10-year starters at OT, a pro-bowl TE, a six-year starter at ILB, and a DE who retired as the franchise's all-time leader in sacks. All great Packers, but none will likely end up in Canton. Are there any other draft classes you're aware of which had that level of talent without producing any Hall of Famers?

Just to keep it in perspective, it was a solid draft, but Wolf did make 13 picks in 2000 in finding the guys you noted – Clifton, Tauscher, Franks, Diggs and KGB. Bang for the buck, I thought he did just as well if not better in '95, when with 10 picks he landed Craig Newsome, William Henderson, Brian Williams, Antonio Freeman, Travis Jervey and Adam Timmerman. Career-damaging injuries to Newsome and Williams, and being unable to afford to re-sign Timmerman, reduced the tenures of those players compared to the 2000 draft.

Tom from West Palm Beach, FL

I'm surprised this comparison isn't brought up more often – AJ Dillon has REMARKABLY similar measurables (height, weight, 40 time) to Derrick Henry, not to mention the punishing style to go with it. Combine him with Aaron Jones and you'd have a hard time convincing me there's a more talented backfield elsewhere.

Hey, I'm as excited about Dillon as other folks, but we have to pump the brakes a little on a guy who has carried the football all of 55 times in an NFL uniform. He has a lot to prove. Do I think he can prove it? Absolutely, and so do the Packers, but the NFL is the ultimate prove-it business.

Nick from Lakewood, CO

I just read Drayton's comments on Rodgers' returning ability. What I feel like I read was the definition of Micah Hyde's returning ability. Hope No. 8 is nearly as good!

Wes and I had the same conversation about the comparison to Hyde while watching Rodgers fielding punts at last week's OTA, and that was before Drayton spoke with the media.