Inbox: It's a healthy perspective, and really the only one to have

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
vbwxhlr7vvqdmws5qfeq

Caroline from La Crosse, WI

I appreciated A-Rod's press conference and his ultimate professionalism. I understand controllables we all have. What are the controllables he believes he lost with our drafting Jordan Love?

Aside from what I just mentioned, none really. My favorite line of his on the subject was this: "What I can control is how I play and making that decision at some point a very hard one." It's a healthy perspective, and really the only one to have.

Dave from Madison, WI

I really have always liked Devin Funchess. I think his signing is like finding a diamond in the rough, and will really work out well for the Packers and surprise a lot of people. While athletically he is limited, he has a number of intangibles I like. Am I misguided, or will he be a good No. 2 behind Tae?

We'll see. I know I've spoken a lot in this space about the motivation for the receivers, and I've said many times I never underestimate a motivated professional athlete. Funchess' motivation intrigues me the most. He signed a one-year deal for really good money last year with Indy, but an early injury ended his chance of cashing in long-term this year. Now he's on a low-cost, incentive-laden one-year deal with Green Bay, looking to return his earning power to where it was. He also turns just 26 this week. It's still all very much in front of him.

Eric from Greenville, WI

If that rule is gone, it's not just the refs that got their way. Thank goodness that's over.

Be careful what you wish for. I think it's a good rule that was badly misapplied by the command center. I don't believe we've heard the end of it, beyond 2020 I mean.

Joseph from Ellsworth, WI

With the Jerry Rice playoff non-fumble (instant replay started the following season), the Fail Mary (the real refs returned the next week), and the Rodgers-Barr collarbone injury (no full bodyweight on the QB the following year), I wonder if any other team has had such an influence on officiating as Green Bay.

Well, apparently not New Orleans. At least not yet.

Eric from Stramproy, Netherlands

Well guys, living close to the German border and having played soccer for years I watched the Bundesliga start up without an audience this weekend. Though nothing less than surreal, if it can sustain health-wise, I can see it happening in the NFL. Reading comments, absence of crowd noise was considered to be the most impactful difference to sentiment and feelings, not to the actual games though. Professionals know there's a job to do. We might not like it, but crowdless football may happen.

At the risk of inviting Vic's soccer-disdained wrath, I decided to post this one. It wouldn't be ideal, but it would be far better than no football at all.

Gary from Chippewa Falls, WI

Phyllis George was great on NFL Today. She deserves a big deal upon her death. She made the job look second nature as a pioneer.

The NFL Today with Brent, Irv, Jimmy and Phyllis was my Sunday morning ritual as a kid. I didn't know much about Phyllis being a trailblazer then because I had never watched an NFL studio show without her and didn't know any different. She never seemed out of place to me, which is probably the best compliment I could give her as a football fan. May she rest in peace.

Bob from Bement, IL

I want to thank the person(s) responsible for adding the secondary II headline to the main Q&A page. That alone has allowed me to finish the Inbox much more quickly and efficiently. I will get many more tasks completed each day II is produced. Seriously. Thank you!

We'd been pushing to get our subheads added to the actual story page (for all stories, not just II) since the most recent web redesign. It wasn't our fix to make but I'm thrilled it was finally made.

Tim from Charlotte, NC

Speaking of a "Dan eat Dan world" my favorite world is, "It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear." – Norm from "Cheers."

I actually got my teenage daughter to watch Season 1 of "Cheers" with me this past year. I consider it a tremendous parenting accomplishment.

Aaron from Wheeling, IL

Facing the reality of having our quarterback of the future in the building probably means 2-3 years left of Aaron Rodgers as a Packer, baring injury. Does this put any added incentive on teammates to win a championship for Aaron?

I hope not, because that would imply they haven't felt incentivized enough to win a championship with him (not for him) until now.

Rick from Albuquerque, NM

Does iron sharpen iron in corners and receivers? From Al Harris to Wood, to Tramon, to Shields, we had Drive, Jennings, JJ, Jordy, then Cobb. The break in line of corners as mentors and as teachers of receivers by example may have resulted in the gaps in both. Davante seems to be the exception. Now that we are starting to get the corners, will the young receivers now rise even more?

Interesting thought, and if there's any truth to it, yet another of many reasons the virtual-only offseason is unfortunate.

Jeff from Seminole, FL

Obviously you need a good run game to make play-action work, which I think the Packers will have, but do you think Rodgers will be more effective under center more, or more snaps in shotgun?

Play-action generally is more effective from under center. From the shotgun, it's more RPO than play-action.

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, in your opinion, what percentage of players are cut more for attitude or personality issues compared to lack of ability? I know it's just a guess on your part, but there must be times when a guy has adequate ability but doesn't fit the type of player an organization is seeking to build.

If that's the case, they usually aren't acquired in the first place.

Dan from Allen, TX

To further the point that Wes made about players in this era arriving to camp in shape, I heard a player comment years ago that the best shape he is in all year is Day 1 of training camp. Once the hitting starts, recovery on a weekly basis cuts into conditioning time. These guys take a beating. Reggie White was once asked what day after a Sunday game that his body starts to feel normal. His reply: "Thursday."

Now just imagine what the offensive tackle's answer was.