Inbox: It's a potentially dynamic group

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
uw0lvsiholity9sbmgmh

Brandon from Pleasant Prairie, WI

A reader from yesterday's Inbox brought up Aaron Rodgers on "Jeopardy!" That got me wondering, Rodgers is the host, and you and Wes are the contestants on a football-related "Jeopardy!" show. Who wins?

If there's a "Madden" category, then Wes.

Avida from Vienna, VA

Hi Mike, with there being one less preseason game and a 17th regular-season game, is the season expected to begin a week earlier this year? Also, on your explanation of the deferral preference, I agree with you, and wanted to follow up: Based on your reasoning, GB should always defer if they win the coin toss. Would there ever be a situation (e.g. opponent, weather conditions, site, etc.) that cause you not to? Or is it automatic in your view that you win the coin toss, you defer? Thanks.

I don't believe the NFL has any plans to move up the start of the season. For years the league has kicked off the week after Labor Day because of likely lower ratings on a holiday weekend. As for the coin-toss decision, if the weather conditions were extreme enough I'd strongly prefer to have the wind at my back in the fourth quarter, then I might take the ball first upon winning the toss. That would mean for the second half, the opponent would have to choose the ball or direction, so I'd either get the wind in the fourth quarter or the ball first to start the second half, too.

Chun from El Monte, CA

Will the Packers consider signing someone like Cordarrelle Patterson? I don't think changing ST coordinators every few years is actually working, but adding a dominant kickoff returner might be the approach to fix this. Considering he can play some RB as well as taking the jet sweep I think it would be a great fit for our team. He can fit the role of Tyler Ervin and Tavon Austin, although I don't recall Patterson returning punts.

He doesn't return punts, but a dynamic returner like Patterson is certainly on Gutekunst's radar, based on his comments last week. It'll come down to price, though. The draft might be the more feasible hunting ground.

Keith from Danville

Does the revenue received in the Atrium (Pro Shop, restaurants, Packers Hall of Fame, etc.) go solely to the Packers, or is it subject to revenue sharing?

That's a complicated answer. To my knowledge, the revenue from the Atrium businesses is not subject to sharing in the same way, for example, ticket sales are. But the NFL also has a provision that requires the highest-revenue teams to contribute to an overall pool that is shared amongst the lowest-revenue clubs. There are times the Packers have contributed to that pool, so in that fashion, the revenue has been subject to sharing.

Chet from Sioux Falls, SD

It may be blind faith, but I think a well-rested and hungry Devin Funchess returning next year on a very cheap deal could give the Packers great flexibility in the draft. If the confidence is high that he will be able to come back and perform, the focus could shift to a slot option with returner and motion abilities in the draft. I think this could be a day 2/3 pick, opening up early picks for CB, OT, etc. What is your confidence level on Funchess returning to previous form? Thanks!

Funchess is a proven pro, but I would not assume anything regarding his ability to perform after taking a year away from the game. He's going to have to earn a spot on the roster, and that's not a given.

Daniel from Waukesha, WI

During the Favre-Rodgers era, who was the best at each offensive line position?

Wow, interesting question. I dug into this so as (hopefully) not to overlook anyone. The only easy call is left tackle, where David Bakhtiari gets the nod over Chad Clifton and Ken Ruettgers based on his multiple All-Pro honors. For as solid as the Packers have been at right tackle, it's rather remarkable neither Earl Dotson, Mark Tauscher nor Bryan Bulaga ever made a Pro Bowl, but my edge goes to Bulaga. At guard, I'll take Josh Sitton at left and Marco Rivera at right, though Adam Timmerman, Mike Wahle and T.J. Lang were no slouches. The hardest pick is center, where Frank Winters, Mike Flanagan, Scott Wells and Corey Linsley all have a Pro Bowl or All-Pro season on their ledgers. Since there may be some recency bias with my Bulaga pick, I'll lean toward Winters here, though not heavily.