Inbox: It's a proven approach that works

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
o3ov1tobhcdmnftquxeo

Thomas from Cedar Rapids, IA

I have heard nothing about Lane Taylor. Wouldn't re-signing him be the answer to questions on the O-line? Or is the injury history too much for the team to risk another contract? On another subject, I like the King deal. A "prove-it" deal may be just what both sides need.

I felt bad for Taylor. He might have been the MVP of training camp after that long road back from the biceps injury. He wins his job back but then tears his ACL in the opener against Minnesota. Taylor, now 31, reportedly took a visit to San Francisco but remains a free agent. With Corey Linsley gone and Bakhtiari also on the mend, Taylor could be worth a look if he's hitting all his checkmarks in rehab and wants to play next season.

William from Newburgh, IN

Now that Jordan Love is the No. 2 QB, let's hope he gets some playing time within preseason games. It would be nice to allow him to showcase his skill set. Also, he better be practicing his kneel downs cause next year he's gonna have to use them.

I watched Love closely last summer, perhaps closer than any other player in camp. It was an extremely small sample size but you could see a difference in Love by the time August was over. I liked how Matt LaFleur created that 10-minute period for young players to get Love extra reps but there's no replicating in-game action. That's what Love needs and that's what he's gonna get this summer.

Mike from Marquette, MI

Wes, on Wednesday, you mentioned that the loss of Jamaal Williams should net us a compensatory draft pick. And I certainly agree with that. However, with a limit of 32 picks in any given year, and the net losses are somehow ranked, could we lose out? If other teams' net losses were deemed to be more than ours (so somebody says other teams lost a net of 32 "better" free agents), could we get stuck with no pick for Jamaal? Unlikely, for sure, but is it possible?

If the Packers don't sign an unrestricted free agent, as sure as Sunday they'll get a pick for Williams. Remember, compensatory picks aren't distributed to teams that lost players with the highest APYs. It's based on a net-loss formula. If a team loses a player to a $10 million per year contract but then signs another top unrestricted free agent to a comparable deal, the two moves cancel each other out and the team gets nothing. Comparatively, Andrew Sendejo's one-year, $2.25 million contract with Cleveland last year earned the Vikings a seventh-round pick.

Jordan from Virginia Beach, VA

Good day, Wes! Which locker-room interview are you looking forward to most once you're allowed access again? With Jamaal Williams gone, I think getting the Smiths together after a defensively dominant win would be gold.

Marcedes Lewis. I have a full year of MMA to catch up with him on.

Matt from Fitchburg, WI

Morning Wes, and thanks to both you and Spoff for the two-week stints lately. My question is about the veteran salary benefit. Is there a limit on how many times a team can use it this year, and if not, how many of the currently unsigned Packers free agents do you think might end up coming back on a contract that qualifies? It would be great to get the gang back together as much as possible, and this seems like the only way, given the current cap situation.

There's no limit and any vested veteran is eligible for it, but this time of year, players aren't typically willing to play for what's perceived to be the minimum until the free-agent market officially dries up. It's more common with in-season signings.

Gary from Tompkinsville, KY

Didn't the Packers trade Matt Hasselbeck to Seattle for Ahman Green?

Those were separate trades. On April 15, 2000, the Packers sent Fred Vinson and a sixth-round pick to Seattle for Green and a fifth-rounder. The Hasselbeck trade wasn't until a year later.

Don from Riverton, UT

How would you characterize the usage of Hinkle Field vs. Nitschke Field? In-season and preseason.

It was a little different this past year because they resodded Hinkle, so that field wasn't available until around midseason. Traditionally, the Packers will practice on Nitschke for training camp and then move to Hinkle once the regular season begins.