Inbox: It's a whole new world

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jebldpiw4al7trycezux

Dave from Anacortes, WA

As a GM, is there one particular injured college player you'd take more of a chance on drafting (higher) thinking a chunk of the 2020 NFL season may not be played anyway so that guy could use the year to recuperate?

Julian Okwara, the Notre Dame pass rusher who's coming off a broken leg. He has NFL bloodlines and was on a tear before breaking his fibula against Duke in November. He initially was viewed as a second-round pick after the injury but he could creep into the first after all.

Mark from Sturgeon Bay, WI

What does it mean when it is said a player can/can't flip his hips? It's a nice phrase but without someone seeing a play and being told that the player did or didn't flip his hips, it is a little confusing as to what is meant.

It means how quickly a player can, or can't, change direction without losing momentum. It's an indicator for determining a player's "game speed."

Markus from Aurora, CO

Insiders, as the NFL Draft is almost upon us – but not quite yet – it's time to relax for a couple of days and distract us before the clock starts ticking. What you say?

I am trying to take a step back the next few days and breathe a little bit because this next month is going to be hectic. Every year, there is an insatiable appetite for stories on draft picks. With nothing else going on at the moment, I expect it to be even more fervent.

Guilherme from Lins, Brazil

Draft week is finally here! I think Kenneth Murray and Patrick Queen won't fall to 30, otherwise the Packers would take one of them, so my prediction is that the Packers will trade out of the first round with a team interested in a fifth-year option for a RB like Taylor/Swift (e.g., the Dolphins) and select WR Brandon Aiyuk. Then we will trade up from 62 to draft DL Raekwon Davis.

In the three mocks I've done, Aiyuk, Ezra Cleveland, Ross Blacklock and Zack Baun have all been available at No. 30. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them…or trading back if the board is deep enough.

Dale from Wilton, WI

How many trades do you think will be in the first round? How many trades do the Packers make this week?

I'll predict five first-round trades and the Packers make two overall this weekend.

Paul from De Pere, WI

Odds are the No. 2 wide receiver will be neither Allen Lazard nor Devin Funchess.

Jeff from Sioux Falls, SD

In looking back at the Packers' draft history, I noticed the Packers twice hit on starting bookend tackles in the same year. In 2000, Chad Clifton (second) and Mark Tauscher (seventh) were chosen and in 1956 Forrest Gregg (second) and Bob Skoronski (fifth) were the picks. I always thought Skoronski was kind of the forgotten man on the O-line during all of those championship teams.

Starr desperately wanted him in the Hall of Fame conversation for a reason.

William from Scranton, PA

II, I tend to agree with most that David Bakhtiari "could" go down as one of the greatest "value" picks in the fourth round. It can be argued that Donald Driver, a seventh-round pick, "is" the greatest "value" pick. He still owns the Packers records for yards and receptions.

Bart Starr is undoubtedly the best "value" pick but Driver and Tauscher are right up there, too, on the all-time list.

Mike from Ames, IA

Wes mentioned in the article on mid-round draft picks that Bak might be on the Ted Thompson's Mount Rushmore of draft picks next to Rodgers and Clay Matthews. Who might be the fourth person on that list? My first instinct was Nick Collins or Jordy.

My pick would be Collins, a three-time All-Pro whose NFL career might only now be ending if he stayed healthy, but I could see the argument for Nelson, too.

Robert from Georgetown, TX

Guys, very excited to have the draft coming and get some good news on television! With many fans speculating on the Packers' draft picks, I am kind of surprised at all of the talk about drafting a QB. Personally, I like what I have seen of Tim Boyle – big guy, big arm. He's not No. 12 but the guy seems to be a great teammate and a very serviceable backup. Now, the big question – is he a starter? I think he is. What say you?

The past two years have proven Boyle is better than his college numbers indicate. He has everything you want in a QB – height, arm strength and stands tall in the pocket. But we don't know whether any these guys are starters until they show it on the grass. Hopefully, Boyle gets that chance someday like Matt Hasselbeck and Mark Brunell before him.

Bill from Marion, MA

"Back in the day" of Curly, all players were free agents. Don Hutson chose Green Bay to play in its fairly unique (for the time) passing offense vs. where he could squeeze out a few more bucks. That signing likely saved the Packers from oblivion. Arguably more important that Reggie White's signing.

While I agree with you Hutson's signing is a significant landmark in franchise history, White's signing is the most important in my mind. He was a legitimate superstar and that acquisition rescued the Packers from mediocrity. At the time the Packers signed Hutson in 1935, they had won an NFL title three years earlier. When White signed, Green Bay was Siberia and the team hadn't made the playoffs in a non-strike season in 20 years.

Marc from Beaconsfield, Québec

I read somewhere Baltimore and Green Bay were the two teams that were talking to Clay Matthews. Have you heard anything like that? Also, what would you think about Trey Burton on a one-year deal that allows him to hit free agency after a year of playing with Rodgers? Keep up the great work!

I haven't heard anything linking the Packers to Matthews. I consider that manufactured Twitter garbage unless you can put a credible source behind it – not a random Twitter account saying it's a "rumor." Burton's future depends solely on how his hip is healing.