Inbox: It's not beyond the realm of possibility

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xbflheopl88natgeracu

Steve from Lake Stevens, WA

If you could, would you be in the war room on draft day, and what would interest you most?

I would love to just watch sometime how the board is laid out and how it "falls," as well as listen to the trade conversations with other teams that happen over the phones.

Rhys from Jackson, MI

The first rule about the draft board is don't talk about the draft board!

Something like that.

Gary from Cross Plains, WI

Mike's response: Ultimately, it comes down to having the courage of your convictions. Agree, GMs have to trust their board and the info their scouting/personnel team is gathering. But that's also why the GM is in the hot seat – too many poor convictions (reaching for picks/overestimating their abilities and passing on players that, in hindsight, were way better options) and they are just another talking head doing a mock draft.

Am I allowed to laugh at that, because I don't do a mock draft?

Patrick from Valrico, FL

Thought this was a good one for II especially while free agents remain available and with the draft approaching. The one player that every team can use is a guy who has experience at multiple positions, never makes a mistake and always knows what the opponent is trying to do. Unfortunately it's difficult to get those guys to put down their snacks and drinks and get up off the couch, let alone get them on the field of play.

This crowd is blazing its own trail today.

Chris from Chillicothe, OH

Mike, I hate to be that guy, but surely you forgot the Golden Boy when stating Lofton was the highest Packer pick in Canton. Hornung was probably pretty highly regarded going into the draft as Heisman winner out of glory day Notre Dame. Keep up the good work.

Yeah, that's my bad. In quickly researching the pick numbers of the Canton guys, I only saw "bonus choice" next to Hornung and glossed over it. His No. 1 status didn't immediately register. I stand, shamefully, corrected.

Craig from St. Paul, MN

Mike, as a kid I was absolutely crushed when my favorite QB and tough-as-nails certain HOFer was traded to San Diego to end his career. U must know his name?

Of course, but for the record that HOF QB list was from the salary-cap era only. And to those who thought I neglected to acknowledge Brees starting his career in San Diego or Montana's late-career move to Kansas City, read my answer from Monday again. They're covered. Potential omissions – if Eli Manning and Philip Rivers both get the call from Canton, that would add one more to each side of the ledger.

Eric from St. Jacob, IL

Just read updates on proposed rules changes and this one, outside of game play, caught my eye. "Prohibit teams in the playoffs from signing players waived or released by clubs whose seasons have already concluded." This rule appears to be a direct response to the Packers adding two players last year. Any insight into who proposed this new rule (my guess is it was 'da Bears!). What are the chances it will be approved?

That's a bylaw proposal made by the competition committee, on which Mark Murphy serves. I expect it to pass.

Mark from Sturgeon Bay, WI

How do intentional leaks work? Does GM Spoff go to scout Hod and say "tell your friend at ESPN GB is picking QB Jordan Love in the first round"? If so, how many times can Hod get away with this before his friend won't listen to his tips anymore? Or don't the reporters care if a scoop is good or bad intel, as long as they get a scoop?

All great questions, on many levels. It's all part of the game being played, though it seems that type of noise has quieted down compared to 5-10 years ago.