Inbox: It's only happened twice in Green Bay

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
pc9u3jhss5z9xf3cxi3k

Jim from McLean, VA

In regards to the question by Michael from Eden Prairie, I have never considered resubmitting a question that I thought was really good (and better than some of mine that have been answered). I always thought that if it didn't get posted you guys just don't think it warranted being published. Should we be rethinking this?

I won't speak for Wes, but some days the quality of the question doesn't matter. What does is whether I feel like answering it.

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, I've seen the 2020 AFC West characterized as a "track meet," while the NFC East was described as "a resistible force vs. a moveable object." Do you have a pithy metaphor for the NFC North this season?

I don't know, ground and pound? We know LaFleur's desire, Zimmer has been pushing for a more run-oriented attack for years, the Lions are going to feed their feature back like crazy once they find one, and the Bears need to run the ball with their questions at QB. Not everyone will be successful, and any focus on the ground game these days is all relative to the QB-dominated offenses prevalent today, but the NFC North definitely wants to run the ball.

Jim from Beaver Dam, WI

Just wanted to start with the fact that I'm a big Inbox fan. It's always an entertaining read plus all the interesting perspectives. My question: Between zero and 100, what are the only numbers that were never worn by a Packer in an official game?

Only zero and 100.

Sal from Hailey, ID

The second-year jump I'm most looking forward to isn't Ka'dar Hollman, Darnell Savage, or even Allen Lazard, but LaFleur and his coaching staff. A virtual offseason wasn't what I'd expected for his second year, but do you think he might weather it better than some since he's not locked into a year-over-year routine yet?

Coaches in this league know it's adapt or die, and every head coach makes scheme adjustments/additions from year to year. I'm curious whether LaFleur has cut back on the scheme tweaks he had in mind because they'll have no on-field reps until training camp, or if he's confident the staff can effectively teach everything they want to change and still implement it with the potential limitations this year. In all honesty, it may be an ongoing trial-and-error process as the season unfolds.

Jason from Rockton, IL

Julian from Gastonia and Spoff's comment about splitting those tough road games on the schedule got me to wondering. How many teams in NFL history have had a winning record on the road and still missed out on the playoffs? I can't imagine that has happened too many times.

I don't have access to a league figure, but I can tell you since the NFL went to a divisional format in the '60s, it's only happened twice in Green Bay – 1968 and 2006. In Phil Bengtson's first year as head coach, the Packers went 4-2-1 on the road but 2-5 at home, finishing third in the division. In Mike McCarthy's first year, a 5-3 road record produced just an 8-8 mark overall, missing a playoff spot via tiebreaker.

Joe from Clio, MI

Mike, I hope I'm wrong, but I see an 80-game baseball season that will not get completed. The knowns and the unknowns of this virus makes the chance of another shutdown 50/50. Football might not make it either.

I think the question all sports leagues have to ask themselves is whether they're willing to put in the immense effort and investment required to play a season in our current environment, while also being willing to see that effort and investment go for naught if it becomes necessary to pull the plug entirely at some point. That doesn't strike me as an easy call to make.

Bill from Bloomfield Hills, MI

Maybe 15 years ago SI did an exhaustive article on home-field advantage and the conclusions were that it does exist, and it's mostly from a subconscious bias refs experience from the crowd "intimidation" of sorts, e.g., their minds make slightly biased calls under a duress of fear they are unaware of. All refs know as the leave the field and stadium after games, they will hear it from fans and it gets baked into their psyche. This year could test that theory.

Maybe, but as I recall, the officiating was not the only element that had an influence, and that study was done long before replay review in all major sports reached its current level.

CJ from Marshfield, WI

Marquez Valdes-Scantling was on pace for 950 yards through Week 7 last year, but the scary and awkward looking knee/ankle injuries (on one play) apparently took their toll. He wasn't placed on IR, but only had 36 receiving yards the rest of the year. If MVS doesn't get injured and ends with 950 yards, pundits probably do not predict a WR drafted No. 1, and fans are probably content with no WR drafted. What is your take on the injuries and his season? What do you think of his potential?

Preparing and playing with/through injuries, finding a way to help the team when you're not at your best, and bouncing back from rough games and missed opportunities are all parts of becoming a seasoned pro. The players who get there in two years are the exception, not the rule.

Brett from Onalaska, WI

Follow-up to your response to Kevin. The last time the NFC North was basically settled in early December was 2017. Three-quarters of the way through the season, the Vikings' 10-2 record led the division while the Lions and Packers were tied for second at 6-6.

Even then, it still took until Week 16 for the Vikings to officially clinch, because with three games left they were 10-3 and Detroit was 7-6 with a previous head-to-head split. The only time in the past decade the NFC North was clinched any earlier than Week 16 was in 2011 when the Packers ran away with it.