Inbox: It's quirky, but just the way it fell

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
pshxahwr9l3vt8q34hji

Joshua from Houston, TX

I think I'd take Tauscher over Bulaga. What year of line do you think was your favorite/best?

That's a tough choice between the '03 group (Clifton, Wahle, Flanagan, Rivera, Tauscher) and the '14 unit (Bakhtiari, Sitton, Corey Linsley, Lang, Bulaga). Green rushing for 1,883 yards and Favre getting sacked only 19 times gives the nod to '03.

Tom from Beaver Dam, WI

With the teams that the Packers will be playing this year 13-3 might be tough to do again. Right now it looks like a brutal schedule. What do the schedules look like for the other three teams in the division? Will it be a challenge for the Vikings, Bears and Lions to match their records as well?

Other than home/away assignments, the schedules amongst the NFC North rivals are the same for 14 of the 16 games. The two different games are as follows: Packers play Washington at home and New Orleans on the road, while the Vikings have Cowboys and Panthers, Bears have Giants and Buccaneers, and Lions have Eagles and Falcons. Assuming Brees retires and Prescott returns, the Packers catch a break compared to the Vikings and Bears there. Then again, if the 17th game happens, Green Bay gets Kansas City and the rest of the division gets a non-playoff opponent from the AFC West.

Scott from Grovetown, GA

Every time you mention a sky judge I picture a person harnessed and tethered to several points throughout the stadium. Up there flying about similar to what the overhead camera does, although he would have to have a controller to direct his flight. And perhaps could even add a broom to his outfit to make it that much more entertaining.

I think the individual would be more effective with access to multiple screens and camera angles.

Jimmy from Rockford, IL

Mike, nice job working "anachronistic" into the Inbox. I agree with you on the safety judge, and was wondering, wouldn't that also help out with the flagging of the retaliator rather than the instigator?

Indubitably.

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Good morning, Mike! With the explosion of WR in the past twenty years, what are the statistical benchmarks a WR has to reach to be elected to the HOF? To phrase it another way, how much weight is given to perception/memories of a given player and how important are the numbers?

The statistical standards will keep rising the way the game is played. I can't begin to predict what a benchmark might be in another decade. Longevity, a la Larry Fitzgerald, as a dominant, game-altering player will matter most at the position.

Mark from Monrovia, CA

Hey Mike, enjoyed the piece on Runyan. With Jenkins the year before and Jon Runyan last year, Gute is on a roll. What are the chances he goes 3-for-3? Would it have to be in the first or second rounds, or could we get lucky in the later rounds?

The Packers are in the market for a tackle first and foremost, and those are hard to find if you wait too long. Bakhtiari is the exception, not the rule, but if earlier targets disappear, it never hurts to try.

Linda from Lakewood Ranch, FL

Good morning, Mike. Russ Ball (and Brian Gutekunst) will be very busy the next few days! Do you think they will have time to get some sleep?

I'm sure they've done plenty of legwork and they're getting ready to make their moves. Deadlines always spur action.

Eric from Ellicott City, MD

I remember Vic as having disgust at the word "that" being overused when writing. It actually made me more aware of my grammar and writing skills, which I didn't expect would come from reading a Q&A column about the Packers. As I sit here and appreciate the great sports journalism packers.com has provided us, what is one of your grammar pet peeves?

Whatever they are must not bother me as much anymore, because I just did two straight weeks of Inbox without including a single grammar lesson. I guess I'm lightening up.

Mark from West Bend, WI

Heather from Green Bay, there are five Culver's in metro Green Bay. You and your friends stake them out, the guy wearing briefs and Brewers shirt, carrying a notepad and pencil, when the flavor of the day is caramel cashew is Spoff. Tackle him. Have a great vacation.

This crowd is really something.

Max from Toledo, OH

Hello Mr. Spofford. You end your Inbox with "happy (day of the week)." What is your happiest day of the week?

The one that starts my two-week disappearing act. Wes is back on Monday. Have a great weekend, everybody.

HAVE A QUESTION?