Inbox: It's the hardest day of the season

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ax7rged9zqqytkrv5fns

Jeff from Athens, WI

Not to beat a dead horse on officiating here but it is pretty sad when there is so much inconsistency in the officiating in the NFL. Not just within one game, but the differences in what was or was not called Sunday was glaringly noticeable within the Packers-Bucs game and between that game and the AFC game. The frustration on that inconsistency has to be looked at by the league and fixed. It really sours my stomach and makes me not want to watch the Super Bowl at all – not even for the ads.

I have a lot of thoughts on how Clete Blakeman's crew officiated this game. I've written and re-written my thoughts and criticisms several times in penning today's column, but I think it's better if I just move on to the next question.

Richard from Canton, GA

Corey Linsley, Aaron Jones, Marcedes Lewis, Jamaal Williams, Kevin King, Will Redmond, Tyler Ervin, Damon Harrison, Montravius Adams, Jared Veldheer, Lane Taylor, Billy Winn and Tavon Austin. Has there ever been such a difficult set of decisions for your pending UFAs in the salary-cap era? That's not even counting the ones we signed during the season.

Probably not, but the Packers aren't the only team with difficult decisions to make this offseason because of this Godforsaken virus.

Matthew from Kansas City, KS

What happens with Devin Funchess (and other players that opted out this season) going into the 2021 season? Does his contract get pushed back a year making him still a Packer, giving them him, Davante Adams, Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Allen Lazard (assuming he is re-signed)?

Funchess' contract tolled. So he's currently signed for 2021.

Steven from Summerville, SC

Aaron Rodgers mentioned how meaningful it was to have veteran guys like Marcedes Lewis there to back him up and help when he spoke in a leadership role to his teammates. Assuming this was Marcedes' last season with Green Bay, is there someone else already on the team that Rodgers can count on in similar situations?

I would never assume that. With the way Lewis played on Sunday (did you see him pancake JPP?) and the role he fits in this offense, I see no reason why he can't keep going. That being said, there are plenty of other leaders who have found their voice over the past two years – Davante Adams, David Bakhtiari, Allen Lazard and even Elgton Jenkins this year.

Max from Ingolstadt, Germany

Twenty-four hours later and this still feels like a punch in the guts. I can't shake the picture of Rodgers during that postgame presser. He looked so broken, like he'd aged 10 years during that game. Today, I looked at all the expiring contracts and our cap situation and it's really hard to imagine that we'll be back here next year or the one after. Can you please tell me something that gives me hope?

Packers football finds a way. This July, 90 players wearing green-and-gold uniforms will step back on Nitschke Field in hope of winning another Super Bowl. Tough decisions will have to be made and new stars will emerge. With any luck, the Packers will find the right combination of players, coaches and personnel to bring that elusive championship home.

Sean from Springfield, OR

There are many ways this loss can hurt. For me, I'm sad the season is over because Sunday football on TV was the one thing over the past year that felt a little bit normal.

Gamedays were the only time life felt normal in 2020. That's probably another reason this one hurt a little more. Because now that's over and there's six months of pontificating standing between me and the next meaningful practice.

Michael from Chanhassen, MN

Wes/Mike, going into this game my expectations were enormous. Coming out of this game my hurt was enormous. Watching and reading what the coaches and players had to say and felt, my respect and gratitude towards them are enormous. Thank you so much for a great season of II fellas. Life goes on.

So it does, and another offseason of opportunity awaits.

HAVE A QUESTION?