Inbox: It's the nature of the position

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
rsnktk8cflnekzcn4ytm

Mike from Allen, TX

Gentlemen, there is a waterfall of words this time of year, from both coaches and players. Everything from injury recovery to offseason workouts to OTA performances. How much do you believe and how much is just hype or wishful thinking?

Yes, everybody says the right things this time of year but I go by what my eyes tell me. What I saw this offseason was David Bakhtiari and Josiah Deguara doing a lot more than I expected them to be doing at this point. I saw a young QB in Jordan Love who looked much more comfortable by the end of minicamp. Jaire Alexander was dominant and several up-and-comers (Eric Stokes, Rashan Gary and AJ Dillon to name a few) made their presence felt. What does it all mean? We'll find out in training camp but it's a good first step.

Dale from Lima, IA

Is Jake Dolegala the tallest QB ever in the NFL? It's amazing to imagine him throwing "downhill" to all the Packers WRs and TEs.

Dan McGwire (6-8) is tallest to ever play quarterback in the NFL, while Frank Patrick (6-7) is the tallest QB to ever play for the Packers. So, Dolegala will be hanging out with Patrick in Club 6-7 should he ever play in an NFL game, along with the likes of Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch and Mike Glennon.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Wes, great question asking De'Vondre Campbell about his familiarity with Matt LaFleur. It helped to learn about De'Vondre but also gave us further insight on Matt as well. Did you already know the answer and put it out there to further familiarize us with both men?

I had no idea how much Campbell and LaFleur knew each other, if at all. Teams are so big it wouldn't be surprising to me if an inside linebacker and a quarterbacks coach didn't cross paths hardly ever. But it was interesting listening to how often Campbell and LaFleur talked in Atlanta. I think that speaks volumes about both the player and the coach.

Mike from Appleton, WI

Hello II, which position besides QB do you think is hardest for a rookie to excel at in his first year? My expectations for T.J. Slaton are already tempered.

They're all hard but tight end is always my answer to this and the statistics bear it out.

Herman from Clarksville, IN

If I was Rodgers, I'd show up every day, draw my money/theirs, and tank every play. Force them to trade me or pay me.

That's not Aaron Rodgers. He's played to win every time he's taken the field over the last 13 years. Listen, I know there were a lot more Rodgers questions but I don't know what to say about where things stand. So, I'm not going to say anything other than this locker room, this team and this organization is better when Rodgers is in the building.

Benjamin from Evergreen Park, IL

How does a guy like Ben Braden go undrafted and land on a practice squad for us to claim? Great measurables, 329, 34-inch arms and lean in the waist. Did he just need the right coaching staff to improve weaknesses in his game? Or just a chance to succeed?

I was stunned to read Braden's NFL.com draft profile. It gave him a 5.1 grade (chance to be in a training camp)…which is pretty much as low as it goes. It's not like we're talking about a 6-foot-6, 329-pound guard who starred at some Division II program. He was a second-team All-Big Ten offensive lineman at Michigan. So, I think scouts and draftniks overthought this one a little. The fact Braden has stuck around the NFL this long is a testament to that. He still has a lot to prove but the Packers obviously like him.