Inbox: It just shows how serious he is about taking another step

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yqsbur9syqwimxhzjko3

Sal from Hailey, ID

Good morning, Wes. I'm glad we have Nathaniel Hackett on our team. Are non-head coaches under contract for a period of time or just employed at will and able to walk if they are offered a job elsewhere?

Most NFL assistants work on one- or two-year contracts, which prevents them from walking at will. However, an assistant is permitted to interview for a head-coaching or coordinator job without needing his current team's consent.

Nathan from Philadelphia, PA

Whom do you expect to take more snaps in preseason: Jordan Love or all other QBs combined?

That's an interesting question. It depends on Aaron Rodgers. If Rodgers returns, then Love is surely taking a majority of the snaps in the preseason. If Rodgers doesn't report, however, the Packers need to be careful how much Love plays in the preseason. You must keep QB1 healthy at all costs in August and Love is going to get just as much out of taking first-teams reps all summer as he will playing in a preseason game against a bunch of ham-and-eggers.

Blake from Marion, IA

Is this "opt out" option that has made headlines recently legit? Any thoughts on that being how this all ends? Go Pack Go!

Players once again can "opt out" as they did last year due to the pandemic, no questions asked. How does it relate to the Rodgers' situation with the Packers? I don't know and am not going to act like I know. From the beginning, I've operated under the assumption Rodgers wants to play in 2021. I'm sticking with that until proven wrong.

Dar from Mansfield, TX

So, the NFL has approved the use of alternate helmets beginning in 2022. Can you see a tradition-bound team like the Packers ever doing one? I'd be against it unless, of course, they figure out a way to make it look exactly like an old leather helmet with earflaps.

I doubt it. Well, I should stop myself. I guess, never say never (which I sorta just did). But maybe this opens the door to the Packers being able to use a helmet color corresponding to their throwback uniforms.

Dan from Morehead City, NC

I have found the easiest way to answer other people's questions about the Rodgers situation when they see me in my Packers gear is to just state, "As a team owner I can't comment on ongoing negotiations." Anyway, I got Gold Package season tickets the year I moved to North Carolina. I have given or sold them to friends and family since then. I will be attending the Jets game and staying at the Kohler Lodge. I haven't been to a game in 20 years, what will I find new?

I'd be willing to buy a share myself at this point, if it meant I could claim confidentiality for the next month. And what's new around the stadium over the past 20 years? Everything, really. Titletown to the west, the Johnsonville Tailgate Village to the east, the Atrium to the north and the expanded south end zone. Lambeau is an experience unlike any other on game day. That's why I missed it so much last year.

Tom from Phoenix, AZ

Greatest play in Super Bowl history? How about a pair of circus-catch TDs by Packers receiver Max McGee in the first Super Bowl. Called off the bench by Vince Lombardi when Boyd Dowler went down with injury, and barely making breakfast after spending the night bar-stooling with a couple of flight attendants on the Sunset Strip of LA, Max grabbed seven passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns. He should have been awarded the game's MVP.

If only they'd known at the time…

Andy from Verona, WI

Where did you learn your football X's and O's? Did you have to study while on the job, did you just pick things up by being on the job, or another way?

Both. Legendary Press-Gazette sports editor Mike Vandermause quizzed me about schemes and defensive personnel groupings when I interviewed for the job, but most of it is observing and processing what you're seeing. That's what I enjoy about football the most – you have a billion stats in today's age of analytics but there's still something to be said for letting your eyes be the judge. And you learn more and more as you go along.