Inbox: It might never be appreciated more than the next time it happens

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
opmvoufcxciy3ket290g

Jon from Lynchburg, VA

How's that shot at immorality workin' for you, Wes?

That one's on his editor as much as the writer. But yes, it gave us all a good laugh.

Craig from Milwaukee, WI

Is Aaron Rodgers trying to help and stay with the Packers or trying to force his way out? This is getting messy now.

Everyone's getting way too worked up over this, especially when the initial comments were delivered right after such an emotional loss. I thought he explained himself pretty well on Pat McAfee's show Tuesday. He didn't say anything he hasn't said before, he was acknowledging there are no absolutes in this business, he doesn't see any reason he wouldn't be back, and he expects the annual conversations he always has to take place soon. All true.

Jon from La Paz, Mexico

Much needed entertainment from this season. Thank you NFL for pulling this off. Great game on Sunday. After watching again last night I had a few observations. After watching Coach LaFleur all season there was no way, in my mind, that he kicks a field goal in that situation. He has been aggressive all season on calls like this. Do you think his decision is different if Rodgers scrambles on that third down and comes up short? He would have the entire two-minute timeout to come up with call.

I do, and I asked that question myself on Monday. If Rodgers gets to the 3- or 2-yard line, he could give him a run-pass option call to make at the line. I think his biggest oversight in the on-the-spot calculation was feeling the two-minute warning would be a fourth timeout for the defense. After the field goal, the kickoff was at 2:05. Mickens, the Bucs' returner, could have killed those five seconds just by running sideways between the 10 and 15. He gave himself up and slid at the 17 at 2:02. The defense got the extra timeout but easily could have lost it.

Rod from Chugiak, AK

Mike and Wes, I'm searching for what I can find to be thankful for. I have to say that, as misery so loves company, you two revealing your emotional letdown shows how warmly one-of-us you are. Man, I loved Vic, and learned so much from him, but could not quite ever bridge the gap to identify with his professional "I (just) like to watch" detachment/objectivity. Your baring of crushed souls is appreciated, somehow.

We do our jobs as professionally as we know how, but we're also just being honest with you. Sunday was the worst feeling I've had after covering a game in six years. I can't, and won't, ever let personal feelings affect my work, and my analysis and opinions aren't based on emotion. But I'm not going to pretend I'm fully detached. Vic was being honest with you, too. He was a transplant, with zero connection to this team or fan base before he arrived. When he was here, he wanted the Packers to win, but not in the same way. It would have been phony of him to act otherwise.

Tim from Greensboro, NC

Hi Mike. If I recall, after the game in Tampa, ML lamented getting away from the running game too early. He said they would learn from it and get better. Disappointing to hear the same after Sunday. Also, regarding legacy, it's unfortunate if Rodgers is remembered for losing four championship games. However, if his playoff record, other than the Super year, remains under .500, I'm afraid it's more of a possibility. Favre's saving grace may have been getting to a second one.

Rodgers' legacy is not yet established, so it's not fair to make grand claims. There was so much about the other three championship losses that had nothing to do with him. The opportunities he had with the ball in his hands down the stretch this time might make this one the hardest for him to take, personally. But I'll also say that for only three of 10 playoff appearances (and none of the last five) to be one-and-done is worth a lot. And two of those three quick exits were last-play-of-the-game, walk-off defeats. You're right about Favre, whose overall postseason play wasn't as good as Rodgers'.

Kristen from Folsom, CA

Mike, I think what saddens me the most about the loss is how we got so far away from what we did well all year. Where did the run-pass balance go? Red-zone efficiency? Rodgers' chemistry with his receivers, especially Adams? Capitalizing on turnovers? Not to mention, ML made some inexplicable decisions that seemed out of character. It just seemed like everyone was off their game...a tough pill to swallow after such an amazing season. Any words of wisdom?

Not really. You have many of the same thoughts I have. I'll add the defense had done really well stopping third-and-longs and not allowing explosive gains, especially late in the season. But the Bucs converted four times on third-and-7-plus, went 72 yards in two plays for a score, and hit a 39-yard TD. As I said on "Unscripted," the Packers got away from or didn't do what they'd done best, and it's everyone's failure to own.