Inbox: It should be quite the gathering

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
frjnqep8yewn6gowttz0

Mark from Denver, CO

“It sounds like he have could went far in that sport.” Ugh! This reminds me when people say, “I seen him down by the lake.” My English teacher would have given me detention if I chose to communicate in this fashion.

On the same day Wes commented on the grammar standards of our website, no less. I think he left that in there on purpose for me to catch upon my return. My wake-up call from vacation, perhaps.

Dan from Allen, TX

Another great article by Cliff Christl on Willie Davis. Willie retired after the 1969 season. This begs the question, how does a five-time first-team All-Pro not get inducted until 12 years later? I know about the five-year rule of course, but I would think he would have been inducted in his second or third year of eligibility worst case. Are my glasses too Green & Gold here?

Cliff would know better, but I suspect two things here. One, at that time the Hall was inducting the Lombardi Packers left and right – Taylor in ’76, Starr and Gregg in ’77, Nitschke in ’78, Adderley in ’80, then Davis and Ringo in ’81. Spreading them out in that fashion might have been intentional, or just the way it fell based on class-size limitations and other worthy inductees. Adderley and Ringo had a similar number of All-Pro selections and, like Davis, were also on the 1960s All-Decade Team but waited a while as well. With similar credentials, Willie Wood waited even longer. Two, sacks were not an official statistic in Davis’ era, or he probably gets in sooner.

Tyler from Pierre, SD

Could you please let everyone know what it actually means to beg the question?

As with several language elements, incorrect usage has become accepted over time. The definition in the classical sense refers to using circular logic, which many in the Inbox have mastered equally well.

Steven from Ladysmith, WI

All this talk about Bakhtiari scoring a touchdown got me to thinking. What do you think his touchdown celebration would be? I'm betting he would probably chug a couple of beers.

A popular suggestion. I’m sure plenty of fans in the “Lambeau Leap” seats would gladly offer theirs.

Lori from Heredia, Costa Rica

Welcome back Spoff! The Milwaukee Bucks will have two sets of brothers on their roster next year. Do you know if the Packers ever had brothers playing together and how that turned out? I asked Wes but he couldn't think of any and said you would know.

According to a listing published by the Pro Football Hall of Fame two years ago, there have been a few pairs, but not for a long time. Earl and George Svendsen both played for the Packers in 1937, Carl and Lee Mulleneaux did so in ’38, and Bob and Royal Kahler in ’42. Both Svendsens are in the Packers Hall of Fame, as is Carl Mulleneaux. Marty and Carl Zoll were brothers who each played one game for the Packers in the early ’20s, but one was in ’21 and other in ’22. Also, the Michaels brothers played for the Packers at different times (Walt in ’51, Lou in ’71), and the twin McKenzie brothers came through Green Bay in different capacities (Raleigh as a player in ’99, Reggie as a personnel executive).

Mike from Mount Prospect, IL

Gentlemen, this is the time of year we hear of offseason training regimens and players returning in spectacular condition, reformed eating habits...Ever seen a player show up for training camp and think, "That guy looks way out of shape"? No names but certainly not everyone shows up in peak condition.

One or two players was pretty common a decade ago in my first couple of years here, but it’s extremely rare now.

Joe from Manitowoc, WI

About the "greatest play never seen," I was on my way back to Fort Campbell, Ky., on Sept. 17, 1973, and going through Milwaukee. I decided to stop at County Stadium. The N.Y. Jets were in town and I am a fan of Broadway Joe. The Jets were doing a walk-through and, being in uniform, the security guard let me see a bit of it. I saw Joe Namath flip the ball behind his back about 25 yards to a RB on a short out route and hit him right in the hands. No cameras around to see it.

The best catch I ever made, crashing into the centerfield fence in a Little League playoff game, wasn’t caught on film, either. It’s a better memory that way.