Inbox: It sounds almost unstoppable

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
def3il9c4aibqkgryal7

John from Gaithersburg, MD

Hey Wes, I think we all have those aspects of our jobs that we dread doing. You both definitely have my sympathy for this long grind. Is there anything we questioners can do to make this a more manageable part of your day?

Simply bear with us if we have an off day. Yeah, it's me for a second straight column. Just a change-up, and Wes will take the column the rest of the week.

Dan from Cross Plains, WI

We have recently discussed plenty of the "silence the crowd" moments which have been great to reminisce. Now how about we go the other way and try recanting the biggest Lambeau roar? Any particular moments come to mind?

From recent years, Aaron Rodgers coming back out of the tunnel in the '14 finale vs. Detroit and the Hail Mary to Cobb to end the half of the '16 wild-card game vs. the Giants are my first thoughts.

Ben from Menomonee Falls, WI

Besides the Smith Bros., and Kenny Clark, who on defense will need to step up the most on D? My vote is for Christian Kirksey. He has big shoes to fill, but I feel like his athleticism will help with the run and in coverage.

He's as good a pick as any, but I'll go with Darnell Savage. I think his potential as a young, developing player is the one element that gives the secondary somewhat of an unknown ceiling.

Mike from Franksville, WI

In Week 17 of 1999, the Packers and Panthers were battling for the final playoff berth in the NFC. Due to all tiebreakers between the two being tied, it came down to who scored the most points against NFC teams. Despite having big leads in their Week 17 games, the Packers and Panthers kept trying to score in an effort to outpace each other. I have never seen anything like this. Are total points still a tiebreaker? Also, the Panthers beat Green Bay in '99, how did that not give them the edge?

Because it was a four-way tie amongst 8-8 teams for the final two playoff spots, so head-to-head results didn't apply. I remember that as well, and total points are still a tiebreaker, but way down the list. It may not have been as far down the list back in '99, I'm not sure. Regardless, the current tiebreaker protocol goes head-to-head, conference record, common games, strength of victory, strength of schedule, combined conference ranking in points scored/allowed, combined league ranking in points scored/allowed, net points in conference games, net points in all games, net touchdowns in all games, coin toss. Just once I want to see a playoff spot come down to a coin toss, just for the sake of it, don't you?

Michael from Goldvein, VA

Good morning II. Assuming we do have a season (abbreviated or otherwise) and players are given the option to opt out, what do you think the likelihood is that the same allowances will be made for coaching and officiating staffs? How might that impact the games?

The coaches don't have a union, so any provisions there would have to be up to the individual teams. I've heard there's talk of officials working out the logistics to handle games with five-man crews because of potential opt-outs and positive tests during the season.