Inbox: It was a fortuitous sequence of events

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
r85qvw96i8ivwqxsymuy

Mike from Ames, IA

I've seen a lot of debate over whether or not the Packers "need" a veteran receiver to join the room or not. How much do you think this factors into Gute & Co.'s decision-making? What's your opinion on the matter?

The Packers have Davante Adams to lead. Whether the rest is young talent or veteran talent, there has to be enough talent competing to push good players out of the way, not just competition that allows everybody to find a niche. I don't care whether the newcomers are young or old. If they bring some competitive tension, I think the Packers will be better off.

Michael from Santa Cruz, CA

Interesting take by Spoff on the uncertainty of Darnell Savage's trajectory going into Year 2. To my eyes, he flashed in the first month, so he was likely playing more hurt than we knew the rest of the season. I'm hopeful. The one player I have no idea what to expect for next season is Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Everything from re-establishing himself as a dangerous WR2 to getting cut out of camp is on the table. He too was playing injured, but his confidence appeared to take a hit as well. Rooting for a bounce back.

No reason not to. The talent is there and he's produced in the past. No matter how many receivers the Packers bring in this offseason, MVS bouncing back will help the offense. That's a given.

David from Capitol Heights, MD

Dear Insiders, I know it's been a hot second, but I wanted to ask you why do you think people cheat? It seems we have all sorts of scandals and no one seems to be above it. Even the Patriots, who could've been the best ever, felt it was necessary to sully their legacy and stain the very goal they sought. Why do you suppose they do it? Why does anyone do it?

To some, the ends always justify the means. It's a tale as old as time.

Andy from LaPorte, CO

Rather than just examining draft classes, what are some of the best offseasons of upgrades for the Packers? This can include draft, free agency, coaching staff, management, etc.

Prior to last year, the two most significant I witnessed were in 2006 and 2009. In '06, McCarthy and his new staff arrived, along with Pickett, Woodson, Hawk, Jennings, Colledge, etc. Then in '09, Capers and a new defensive staff came in, plus Raji and Matthews as the first two draft picks. But last year saw more wide-ranging upgrades than those.

George from Hutchinson, MN

COVID-19 is causing worldwide cancellations of public events. Have you been privy to any concerns from NFL officials regarding this year's draft-day presentation?

I've heard nothing, but I would imagine it'll be a topic at the owners' meetings at the end of this month.

Tom from Westfield, MA

"Boil the brats in a vat of beer" … While I am sure the brat benefits, seems like a sacrilegious waste of good beer. Please tell me no beer was harmed in the making of your brats.

I buy the cheapest stuff I can find at the liquor store. It never even goes into the fridge.

Jenn from Peoria, IL

Hey Mike! In reference to how you make your brats, the only thing missing is a stick of butter in that beer and onion Jacuzzi. Trust me. It's next level. A brat isn't a brat if you don't feel like you need to apologize to your cardiologist afterwards.

Of all the suggestions that came flooding in (I appreciate the efforts), I might actually try this one. Happy Wednesday.

HAVE A QUESTION?