Inbox: It was one of the most enjoyable human aspects

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ilbh5jmglrnbacw787yc

Dennis from Parrish, FL

What happens if the hay is in the live well and the perch are in the barn?

The farmer goes broke and the fisherman goes hungry. Or the frog eats the key. Take your pick.

Basil from Nags Head, NC

Is it just me, or does anyone else miss the end-of-season pictures of locker room clean-out day? It always added a personal look and feel.

That last visit to the locker room to interview players while they're cleaning out their stuff has always been part of the closure for me. Not to have that was just another strange element to the season.

Wayne from Stevens Point, WI

I didn't write this to you at the beginning of the season so here it is now. I bet the NFL season ends before the third game begins due to the virus. My question is: How long did you think it could realistically go before the season started? And I am so glad I was wrong. You two and the Packers gave me relief on a daily basis. It ended poorly, but sure beats not having a horse in the race for the last month.

I was guessing four or five games before a major interruption, but I was glad to be wrong as well. Very glad.

Otto from Brillion, WI

Based upon seeing the last four or so ST coordinators do so poorly, do you think there's something systemic in Packer management scope or strategy that contributes to multiple failed candidates?

Every coach I've seen hired for that job here has taken steps forward at first, but then the units have regressed in future seasons. I don't have an answer for you except to say they obviously haven't found the right combination of coach and personnel to sustain the initial success.

Mike from Lisle, IL

While there's been a lot of attention paid to pass interference non-calls, the non-call I found most irksome was during Tampa Bay's first drive, on third-and-long, when it seemed half of their offensive line was four yards downfield before the ball left Brady's hand. Is that not an objective infraction, easy to spot? Please don't tell me the rules are different during the playoffs. (The "let 'em play" attitude is ridiculous.)

It was actually the second drive, assuming you're referring to the third-and-13 middle screen to Godwin. I thought the same thing when I saw it live, but the film showed the only players downfield were eligible receivers (two WR, one TE) and no lineman was more than a yard beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball left Brady's hand. All legal. Just great play design and execution.

Michael from Clermont, FL

It looks like Rashan Gary was held on the crucial third down at the end of the game. Am I wrong?

No, but like everything else, flags could have flown for holding throughout the game, either way.

Eric from Kenosha, WI

Let's talk about the real culprit for Sunday's disappointment, global warming. What is this 30 degrees and sunny for an NFCCG at Lambeau?

No kidding, and the Bucs were dropping plenty of passes in the balmy clime anyway.

Matt from La Crosse, WI

As painful as it is to watch the Packers lose another NFC Championship Game, I am most disappointed that we won't get to watch a Super Bowl shootout between Aaron Rodgers and Mahomes. What a game that would have been.

We were robbed of getting to see that matchup in October of 2019. We can always hope.

Sue from Tomah, WI

David from Oak Hills, CA, got me to thinking: We have enjoyed 20-plus years of "greatness" (your very appropriate word) with Favre and Rodgers. Has any other team had such a long run with only two quarterbacks?

When you look at the Montana-Young era in San Francisco lasting 19 years, and Favre-Rodgers is now at 29 and counting, it boggles the mind. Yes, this team should have won more than two championships in that time. We're all disappointed by that and I'm not diminishing that. But to have only seven non-playoff seasons since Favre's first year, and never more than two in a row, has still made for far more we want to remember than would rather forget.

Mike from Milwaukee, WI

I've had a lot of Packer fan friends say we're wasting Aaron Rodgers' career. Their argument is that we should be going all in, spending the money to get free agents to get a Super Bowl. The example they use is Peyton Manning with the Broncos, and I'm sure they'll now add Tom Brady with the Bucs. Can you help me with examples of teams that went all in, spent a ton of money, but failed to get the Lombardi so I can ask them if they're OK with that outcome, which ultimately is much more likely?

I'll reiterate the Bucs probably lose in the divisional round this year if Jared Cook doesn't fumble the ball, and Brady threw three picks in the second half Sunday. But to your question, look at the New Orleans Saints the last four years. They won 49 games in that time and never even made it to a Super Bowl, let alone won one, and now they're in cap hell. The Minnesota Vikings reached the NFC title game in 2017, went all-in for the quarterback they thought they needed, and have one playoff appearance in the last three years. The Dallas Cowboys were the NFC's No. 1 seed in 2016 with a top-flight QB (Prescott) and RB (Elliott) on their rookie contracts, built everything they could around them, and have one playoff win to show for it.