Inbox: It was the perfect move at the perfect time

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
afc4um8mdhcrp4p8a4jg

Jon from Monument, CO

I was a bit shocked at the Joe Barry hire, but I'm hopeful he'll be a great DC for the Packers. I think many of us don't know a lot about him. That being said, what can fans expect/look forward to from Coach Barry?

I've heard nothing but good things from people outside the building. It sounds like Barry is a strong communicator and good teacher of the game. I'll have a "5 things to know" story posting later this morning. I'm excited to learn more about Barry and his scheme, though. On paper, I think this is easily the most talent he's had to build his defense around.

Derek from Eau Claire, WI

What do you think LaFleur likes in Joe Barry?

They worked together in Los Angeles back in 2017, so there's obviously some familiarity there. Beyond that, I'm not going to speak for LaFleur. We'll see what he has to say about it whenever he speaks next on the coaching hires.

Chet from Sioux Falls, SD

Coaches can definitely change and improve over time. In your estimation, what are the Packers getting in Joe Barry? An architect and leader of the league's best defense last year, or the leader of some of the league's worst defenses on the worst teams a few years back? Also, what do you think his defining characteristic as a defensive coordinator is? I can say that I don't know much about the coach or the man. Happy offseason II!

I don't want to make excuses for anybody but I'm not sure how much you can glean from what happened with the 2008 Detroit Lions. That was more than a decade ago and that coaching staff wasn't exactly given the 1972 Dolphins to work with. Aggression is the word that keeps getting thrown around about Barry and the numbers show his units consistently generated takeaways.

KB from Wichita, KS

Congrats to Rodgers on a well-deserved third MVP. Just curious though, why is it that half of the time the MVP also wins OPOY and yet Rodgers has never received that honor. The apparent inconsistency in how OPOY is awarded is confusing and frustrating.

Charean Williams, of Pro Football Talk, addressed this over the weekend after Andrew Brandt raised the same question on Twitter. The NFL Offensive Player of the Year award has become more of a skill-position player award in recent years and I'm cool with that. A receiver has never won MVP and only one running back (Adrian Peterson) has won the award in the last 13 years. If OPOY becomes their award, that's OK. Heck, maybe Davante Adams gets it next year? Somebody bookmark today's column.

Richard from Farmington Hills, MI

So the great Charles Woodson and the man who signed him, Ted Thompson, are both going up on the Ring of Honor. How fitting is that? Sure hope it's done at the same game. I would make every effort to be there – I get my second shot tomorrow!

It would be fitting to have Woodson and Thompson honored together. Thompson and the Packers assumed some risk when they signed Woodson, but it was the perfect move at the perfect time. Once Dom Capers arrived, the Packers had the right scheme for Woodson to shine in that "star" DB role. Woodson had a brilliant 11-year run in Oakland but an argument could be made his seven seasons in Green Bay would've been enough to make him a Hall of Famer. Together, he was without question a first-ballot gold jacket.

Andy from Verona, WI

Do you think having another Packers safety get his (well-deserved) induction into the Hall of Fame this year hampers LeRoy Butler's chances, just because he was on the same team?

John Lynch getting in probably helps Butler's chances more than Woodson. At least, that's what everybody keeps telling me. I still can't believe that happened, but I'm trying to pour the water back into the glass I knocked over Saturday night, so I can see it half full.

Pat from Kennesaw, GA

I think the HOF should be ashamed of themselves for not putting Butler in. Only first team all 90s team member not to be in, aside from the punter and kick returner. The second-team safety is in before him, along with a host of other second teamers. It brings back horrible flashbacks of Jerry Kramer. I sure hope they get it right long before they did for Kramer.

I doubt it'll be that long. It wasn't just that Kramer didn't get in as a modern-day finalist – he then got shut down as a senior nominee the first time around. The good news for Butler is there isn't really a surefire first-ballot Hall of Famer on next year's docket, so hopefully that's an opportunity to welcome Butler and a few other deserving players into Canton in 2022.

Richard from Republic, MO

It is such a shame that KC didn't go all-in this year.

If only the other 31 teams would've gone all-in, too, then maybe everyone would've gotten a Lombardi Trophy.