Inbox: It wasn't significant at the time

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
v3peobrejdpdoqhjp31y

Vinny from Arlington, VA

I realize a lot is riding on the upcoming draft but from prior history, are there a number of veteran players that are cut after the draft? It is clear that the team can't address every single need in the draft. However, can we expect veteran players to be released between post-draft and training camp to provide an additional avenue to acquire players?

Yes. As teams fill out their 90-man rosters after the draft, there are veteran players who will be deemed expendable.

Sandy from Green Bay, WI

Coach LaFleur set a very high baseline for himself with the success he experienced during his first season coaching the Packers. I know the goal is always to get to the Super Bowl, but keeping in mind how difficult it is to achieve that goal, do you think Coach LaFleur will be vulnerable to criticism with nothing less than a deep playoff run his second year? Does his successful first season secure him a bit of "wiggle room" in case the team has a bit of a letdown during his second season?

LaFleur proved the game is not too big for him and he can succeed at this level. That's all that really matters. Will the criticism be more harsh if the Packers stumble in Year 2 than it would have been in Year 1? Yes. Success breeds expectations. It's part of the deal, and he's well aware of it.

Peder from Muskegon, MI

Regarding Matty's question about transporting Jordy back to the '60s, I think your answer was spot on. However, that door swings both ways. What would those '60s Packer greats look like with today's sports training, diet and tech? Monsters most likely.

I won't argue.

Jake from Shoreview, MN

How much does the signing of Christian McCaffrey affect the Packers trying to sign Aaron Jones? Does this raise the cost of re-signing him?

I don't see how it doesn't. To what degree depends on when they try to negotiate a new deal, and if it's not until after the 2020 season, what kind of season Jones has.

Heather from Racine, WI

Who will be the No. 2 wideout? Allen Lazard or Devin Funchess?

I have no idea. I also don't know if they'll be the only candidates.

Steven from Silver Spring, MD

For all the conversation about positional impact, I still look at two teams, Rams and Bears. In 2018 both offenses were ascending units offensively with new(er) coaches. Through different means both teams suffered major regressions on the right side of their OL coming into 2019 and the results couldn't have been more stark. Both teams QBs were less efficient, play calls were less effective and RBs were less productive. A lesson learned?

I think the QBs involved were the biggest factor. Personnel changes and injuries in the backfield played roles as well.

Joel from Singapore

Good day to you folks. Do you think that scouts who speak to the media anonymously go out of their way to manufacture hype for certain players they consider to be potential bust picks?

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Dan from Jimboomba, Australia

I hope this doesn't offend, and I'm sure this isn't easy. But sheer "talent," who is the best receiver you've covered in your time? Connection with Jordy was second to none but I've forever loved Greg Jennings for his route running and safe hands combo. Though I feel like Davante Adams is pushing his title. Pure talent...I'm keen on your thoughts given your exposure.

You're right, it's not easy, and you won't like my answer because I'm going to equivocate. No receiver I've covered looked more ready to step into the NFL on Day 1 than Jennings. He just looked smooth and natural from the start. But the sideline footwork and explosion after the catch Nelson developed eventually gave him abilities Jennings never had. And Adams' footwork and quickness at the line of scrimmage give him something the others didn't possess. All that said, if we put my observations aside and go with the opinion of Rodgers, here's what he told me in a Yearbook interview I conducted with him last spring: "With all due respect to everyone who's ever played here with me, we've never had a guy who (was a great player, teammate and leader) and was as talented as '17.'"

Corey from Bethlehem, PA

I read the Jags may be looking to move Leonard Fournette, which is crazy considering two years ago they almost beat the Patriots for a Super Bowl berth and now they are rebuilding again. How do teams fall off that fast? Especially with such a strong nucleus of young talent?

It was actually three seasons ago. How time flies. But without a true franchise quarterback, no strong nucleus of young talent can generate consistent success in this league. Fleeting moments or seasons, sure, but the QB is needed to sustain it.

Tim from Charlotte, NC

Out of curiosity, I did some research on the "Lombardi 12." 1963 was Dave Robinson's first year, and Jim Ringo's last, but also the year in which Paul Hornung did not play. So it appears they never all played together at the same time. Is this correct?

Yes, I never thought of it that way, but you're correct. For what it's worth, eight of the 12 were on all five of Lombardi's title teams – Gregg, Starr, Nitschke, Adderley, Davis, Wood, Jordan and Kramer. Taylor and Hornung were on the first four title teams but not the fifth. Ringo missed the last three championships, and Robinson missed the first two.

James from Asheville, NC

There have been 52 Super Bowls. With an average roster size of 43 (over that span) I've come up with about 4,500 players. Those who have played in multiple SBs would knock it down to maybe 3,500. My point is how ratified that air is and how cherished an opportunity it must be for those involved. That's why it's the dream of every man who ever put on an NFL uniform.

And why the prize is so cherished.

Matt from Hawthorne, NJ

I think trading out of the first round into early second is a good move depending on how the Packers' board looks at that point, but it would be somewhat depressing to watch three hours of the draft and not see a Packers pick. What's your preference being that you have to report on any news/updates either way?

My preference is for pick 30 to arrive sooner than later so we can get our coverage on the site ASAP for everyone to consume. Whether it's a pick or a trade, we'll write about and analyze it thoroughly regardless.