Inbox: It’s about seeing who can beat his man

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
i6y9vfnkxwr0wot2j51o

Keith from Lincoln, IL

When the Packers have a preseason practice scheduled for 10:15 a.m., what approximate time does that practice conclude? I’d like to see the “bike riding back to Lambeau” in person some time.

Practices in training camp usually last anywhere from two hours and 15 minutes to two hours and 45 minutes.

Rich from Caledonia, WI

What were your biggest surprises of the early practice sessions with the new coaching staff?

After watching a few workouts, I became surprised I hadn’t heard more about Billy Turner heading into free agency. His athleticism for a man that size is exceptional. His signing so quickly in free agency raised eyebrows, but I think the media simply missed one who was on a lot of scouts’ radars.

Bob from Madison, AL

The Davante Adams/Bart Starr number story got me wondering...I've heard differing reports about how draftees and free agents get jersey numbers. I think it was Vic that once wrote Ted Thompson arbitrarily decided jersey numbers for incoming players. I've also heard stories of players asking/negotiating for certain numbers. How does it work? I assume a high-profile free agent or high draft choice can request a specific number, but do all incoming players have that option?

No. Thompson did assign all jersey numbers, from what I understand. Based on the stories I’ve heard recently, it would seem Gutekunst gives certain incoming players some say based on the options available.

Dennis from Reedsburg, WI

Who were the players kept out of OTAs due to injury from last year and do you see any of them not ready to go by training camp/season opener?

Mike Daniels was held out of workouts and Kevin King did very limited 11-on-11 work. There was really no update given on Daniels, but all indications are King will be ready to go for camp.

Ryan from Westfield, IN

“Cushier,” “…tear a hamstring jumping back to steerage,” and “Mitch ain’t the warden, bro” had me cracking up. Way to finish out an extended Inbox penance. That’s it. Thanks.

The Inbox yelled at me the one time I slipped in a “bro.” Just sayin’.

Bob from Sun City West, AZ

Mark Tauscher had a streak of several years where he never got a holding call. Do you recall the game when the officials finally called him for holding to break his streak?

Oct. 9, 2005, vs. New Orleans. Tauscher, a seventh-round pick in 2000 who became a starter in the third game of his rookie year, hadn’t had a holding penalty in his NFL career until that game (he didn’t have one in his lone starting season at Wisconsin, either). And his first one apparently was on a teammate but the officials mistakenly called it on him.

Craig from Elkton, MD

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping it alive during the dead zone and weigh in on the ball-placement issue. The technology already exists! Satellite-guided tractors can place a kernel of corn within an eighth of an inch in a 5,000-acre field. I think they can figure out where to put a football on a 1.32-acre grid iron. Your move NFL.

I’m OK with properly feeding humanity taking priority here.

Gus from Oaxaca, Mexico

Maybe there is an intermediate step to spotting the ball and technology: keep the practice of the officials spotting the ball, but then use the chip and GPS technology to determine if it is a first down or not. This would speed up the game a bit by eliminating bringing out the chains but still keep the human element of the spotting. The spot could still be challenged as is currently the rule.

I could see this being part of the transition.

Brian from Rochester, MN

Football is designed for us to appreciate and celebrate performance – that’s part of the fun. But you all get a more personal look at the men behind the facemask. Who would your “character Mt. Rushmore” be among players you’ve covered? Which guys would you want your kids to hang around because of their integrity?

There are plenty I’ve come across, so narrowing it down to four is rather arbitrary. But when I think of players no longer in the Packers’ locker room who possess varying personalities yet meet the criteria you describe, four who come to mind are Chris Banjo, Andy Mulumba, Tim Masthay and Aaron Kampman.