Inbox: It’s all irrelevant, really

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ozukfcvgxtnpfotkfinq

Seth from Ladysmith, WI

Tell Ryan from Somerset not to be bashing Tony, WI. It produced Jimmy Leonhard. How did that work out?

I know Leonhard played at Flambeau High, but one of my favorite things about your town, Ladysmith, is the school sports teams are nicknamed the Lumberjacks (boys) and Lumberjills (girls). At least they were when I was covering high school sports in this state.

Karen from Kaukauna, WI

I read that both of Aaron Jones' MCL problems happened at Soldier Field. If that's correct, do you think there will be anything done differently this first game to keep from it happening a third time? Is there anything they could put on him for protection that wouldn't hamper his runs and turns? Might he be more timid there in view of his past? I have to admit reading that put this first game in a different perspective. A lot is riding on Jones’ breakout yardage this season.

I don’t know if Jones will take any added precautions. I’m just hoping since the Packers are playing there in the opener, the Soldier Field turf will be in the best possible shape it can be.

Mike from West Pittson, PA

I honestly love where GB is right now. We're healthy, motivated and not on too many pundits' SB radar. As Rodgers has stated numerous times, we seem to play better when we're flying under the radar. Let everyone pick Chicago and Minnesota. I'm fine with that. But I do think we're going to surprise a lot of people in 2019.

It’s all irrelevant, really. If the Packers make their presence known in the first two weeks against the Bears and Vikings, they won’t be able to avoid anyone’s radar.

Jake from Schererville, IN

Hey Mike/Wes, what is the difference between run blocking and pass blocking from the O-line perspective? I remember when the Bears had Cutler he seemed to consistently be one of the most sacked QBs in the league (I know this is partially due to him holding the ball too long also) but the Bears consistently produced a 1,000-yard running back in Forte. Was Forte that good for the Bears, or did they just run block better?

Both. Ask any lineman whether he’d rather run block or pass block and the answer is easy. In confrontations, the preference is usually to dictate rather than react.

Larry from Carney, MI

What is the most severe injury that you have had?

I had a greenstick fracture of my left fibula in college, but I practiced and played on it because I never knew I’d cracked the bone until the healing process was well underway. I just thought I had a really nasty high ankle sprain, which I did, but when it still hurt something fierce after six weeks I finally got an X-ray. Surprise. Never getting a cast saved my sophomore baseball season, though, so I had that going for me, which is nice.

Jim from Hainesville, IL

Spoff, I worked in radio for a while and did a lot of HS sports play-by-play. Though a different medium, I agree that Friday nights, sitting in a tiny press box with the smell of popcorn and brats rising up to me and the sounds of pads, whistles, coaches, cheerleaders and fans below me, were some of my favorite times! I have a couple of horror stories too, but feel free to edit this to only include the romantic, nostalgic reminiscence! HA! Thanks for reminding me of fun Friday nights.

The coaches I got to know were nice enough to let me roam the sidelines as I kept my own stats. One in particular would give me a look or a wink when he was about to call a trick play.

Roger from McGrath, AK

Could you explain why there are limits on practice-squad eligibility? Why not allow willing veterans to accept a spot if a team wants to offer them one? Which side of the bargaining table lobbies for limits and why? I've submitted similar questions during "living" zones and wasn't published so maybe now would work. As incentive, my 6-foot tall, bald-headed, lawyer brother with whom I share exactly one chromosome couldn't answer this question so if you can, you're smarter than him. Thanks.

In a counterintuitive sort of way, I think the limits on PS eligibility actually favor veteran players. Younger players are cheaper to have on the active roster, and if teams knew they could stash veterans who clear waivers on the practice squad (at PS salaries), there’d be fewer spots for veterans on the bottom third of 53-man rosters.

Dave from Mazomanie, WI

I have always been in awe of the fortitude and toughness that NFL rookies have. To go through a regular college season, then the combine/draft, and straight into offseason workouts has to take its toll. Do you see the second-year jump a result of actually getting time to rest as well as getting more comfortable in their respective systems?

For sure, and just gaining an understanding of what it takes to be a pro.

Rod from Chugiak, AK

It's aggravating the way narratives get a foothold and grow into embedded "fact." The common MVS take is he's little more than some barely OK late-rounder. Reality is, his doubters lack close observation. Had Rodgers not overthrown him on one wide-open long pass, and had he not inexplicably stumbled and gone down while running in a pretty open field after a catch, he'd have had far more than 700 yards and everyone would have been raving about how far he'd surpassed Greg Jennings’ rookie total.

It’s a fine line, isn’t it? Though I’ve always felt Jennings was the most polished receiver I’ve covered as a rookie, and had MVS topped his numbers, that opinion wouldn’t have changed.