Inbox: It’s part of a larger plan

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
afkn53rh079nvzfeztxf

Brian from Menominee, MI

Am I in the vast minority that's fine with a roughly 4 percent chance at recovering an onside kick? I've never been a fan of the onside kick as it seems to give a team that's not playing well and down multiple scores too large a chance to come back. I think the new rule fixed the real issue.

Maybe, though I think everyone can agree there’s not as much drama anymore. As you said, however, that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Jim from Prairie du Chien, WI

Clearly the change made to the on-side kick last year took a lot away from the game. NFL overthink? Can you name one injury that you recall happening on an on-side kick?

The changes to on-side attempts were just a byproduct of the NFL making changes to the standard kickoff. That’s where this all started, but the trailer has to go with the truck.

Dan from Rice Lake, WI

Although a skeptic at first, kudos to the NFL for the extra point rule change. But please bring back a real on-side kick. Will they? Won't they? It adds immeasurably to the end of some games. And while we're at it, eliminate the DH rule for baseball and return coaching to the equation. Sorry, confessions of a dinosaur.

You really went from 0 to 60 on me, Dan.

Matt from De Pere, WI

I am not a fan of the fourth-and-15 proposal. Success rates would differ tremendously among teams based on the caliber of their quarterback. Offense and defense already have substantial influence on a game's outcome. Whatever happens with the onside kick, I think it should remain a special-teams play. When will we know the outcome of the proposed rule change?

Next week.

Mel from Eau Claire, WI

Wes, 12, 4, and 17? Maybe a little soon to predict 17. Isn't 52 the obvious response?

I guess I misinterpreted the question. I read “this era” as what was to come, not what has already happened. But yes, 12, 52 and 87 are at the top of my list of the 2010s.

Robin from Kenosha, WI

I was never big on the Ty Montgomery jersey number questions, but I liked the question the other day about how player’s jerseys become part of team history. Are there any (non-retired) jersey numbers that you strongly associate with one particular Packer? No matter who is wearing it, my brain always shouts "Driver!" whenever No. 80 makes a catch.

No. 93 with Gilbert Brown and No. 36 for LeRoy Butler are the first two that come to mind for me. And, of course, Howard Green’s No. 95.

Rusty from Hickory, NC

I, too, will miss Matthews and Cobb, but that's the way football is, has been, and will be. There just aren't that many Bart Starrs and Donald Drivers out there and with football, like everything else, becoming more a dollar-oriented business, I imagine rosters will change with ever-increasing speed. Heck, even Favre and Lombardi moved on. I truly wish Holmgren had stayed a bit longer as it seems he knew how to control Favre and I think a few more Lombardis would be in the trophy case now.

I used to feel the same way about Holmgren, but as I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to feel that era ended how it needed to. That was an aging roster and there’s no guarantee the Packers still wouldn’t have taken a step back in 1999 and 2000. In the end, everything worked out for the best.

Jim from McLean, VA

There’s a good chance the Packers could face both Cobb and Matthews in the playoffs next year. Have any previous free agent departures come back to sting the Packers in the post-season?

I sat in my chair and thought about this question for 10 hard minutes. I couldn’t come up with any Kit Kellers for ya in Green Bay. Let me know if you guys can.

Charlie from Cameron, NC

Wes, don’t be so modest! Earlier this year, I proposed Packers Perks putting an autographed photo of you, Mike, and Larry doing ‘Three Things’ up for auction. I think you’d be surprised by the amount of the winning bid, especially if you’re holding a microphone. When will this happen? Man caves everywhere want to — no, they need to know!

I can’t remember if I told this story before in Inbox or not. I was signing a Packers helmet for one of our departing interns when I noticed the only autograph on it at the time was Larry’s. Talk about reducing the value of Packers memorabilia with a few simple strokes of a Sharpie.

Trevor from Carmel, NY

I made Dave Zastudil into a 75 backup QB in Madden 07. It's all about getting the punters that have strong arms and then just work on their accuracy. There is hope, Wes. I know you have it in you.

This reminded me of my proudest ‘Madden’ accomplishment – leveling up Ryan Leaf to like 77 or 79.

Zach from Appleton, FL

Caught that ‘American Psycho' reference with videotape.

I was positive nobody would get that reference…and relief washes over me in an awesome way.

Kenny from Wautoma, WI

I have offered up a number of questions to II in the past, but never get in print. I have tried the funny angle, draft questions and even tried the Lori from Brookfield approach of simple but inquisitive questions but to no avail. Would I stand a better chance if l said I was from some place exotic like Costa Rica, Honolulu or Paris? Obviously, Wautoma just ain’t cutting it.

I’ve been to Wautoma. It’s plenty exotic enough to be published in Inbox. Have a great Friday, everyone.

HAVE A QUESTION?