Inbox: Keep grinding and take care of what's right in front

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ba2jgf0kdtqo9tpnajqt

Jake from Athens, GA

Yet another reason I love the Inbox: Here I can get even the highlights from the TV commentary. Where I was watching the game, I didn't get to hear the "Bobby" Turner analysis...but I did have to listen to a guy at the bar yak authoritatively about Robert "Tunyan" for three hours. I came this close to asking him what he thought about the play of Jon Runyan.

Just to make it known, the correct pronunciation of the tight end's last name is indeed "Tun-yin." He informed the team's communications staff a week or so ago with the desire to get the word out. He never bothered to tell anybody around here for more than two years his name was being pronounced wrong. He may be fighting a losing battle, but just the fact that he didn't worry about it for so long makes me like him even more.

Kent from Lewiston, ID

JA absolutely a top-notch pick for Gutey. However, moderate at best first-rounders the past few drafts and one pick remains unseen. Packer signings of UDFAs always a boon, outstanding. Middle-round picks more than solid. I am sure scouting is not an exact science, but is the same process of evaluating used for top-tier talent? Seems like this team could be better yet, without the swings and misses. Do we struggle evaluating the blue chippers? Appreciate your Insider perspective.

Every team could be better without the swings and misses, but that's the draft, even with the highest picks. The process isn't any different for first-rounders. Evaluations combine what a player brings to the table now, and what he's projected to become down the road. Teams don't necessarily weigh those the same. Even with identical evaluations in front of them, a GM on the hot seat versus one who feels more secure could make a different decision. The variables are endless.

David from Appleton, WI

I remember reading last year where it took until Week 12 for you to feel like the 2019 Packers were a special team. Despite the Tampa debacle, the 2020 Packers are winning by an average of 11 points/game. Are you beginning to feel the 2020 Packers are yet again a special team who can go places? Or is it too early in the season for this type of thought?

I don't recall saying that about last year's team (maybe Wes did). I remember feeling the Week 5 win at Dallas was the first sign, and the Week 16 win at Minnesota confirmed for me last year's team had a real shot. I believe this year's team is better. What we've seen on offense is at another level, and I think this defense will continue to evolve. But here's the caveat – the top of the NFC is stronger and deeper. The Bucs and 49ers have loudly asserted themselves the past two weeks. The Seahawks, Cardinals, Rams and Saints are all right there. If the Bears find an offense and the Lions find a defense, look out. I know those NFC West teams are going to beat each other up, record-wise and otherwise, over the next two months. But my point is even though I believe the Packers are better, it'll be even harder to get as far as they did last year, especially with only one team getting a playoff bye. Keep grinding and take care of what's right in front, because there's a long way to go.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Everyone is sleeping on the Lions but I believe in their next five games only one team has a winning record (Colts). By the time they get to the Bears and Packers they could be in the mix. Your thoughts?

Entirely possible. They're a brutal dropped pass from being 4-2. They beat the Cardinals and lost to the Saints by six after leading 14-0. Did their defense just get a jolt with Everson Griffen? Stay tuned.

Markus from Sea Ranch, CA

I think the lack of the usual parity regarding the win-loss record is due to the pandemic crisis. The lack of fans in the stadiums, as a 12th player, has a larger negative impact on a sub-.500 team than a prospering team. The good teams win regardless while the struggling team goes without the home-field crutch that can help win a few more games.

I think you're onto something.

Gabe from Milton-Freewater, OR

What does Davante Adams' contract look like? How long can we expect him to be a Packer?

Adams is under contract through 2021, when he will turn 29 at the end of that year. Assuming the Packers exercise Alexander's fifth-year option, Adams will be by far Green Bay's highest priority pending free agent for 2022.

LeeAnn from Carefree, IN

"Serenity now!" My question Mike, how can a team, any team, NOT double-cover Davante Adams on every play? Are they not watching the tape?

Every play might be a bit much, but teams aren't going to make the mistake Houston just did. I think the Texans got caught in an inability to adjust their plan after Bradley Roby left the game. It was a failing effort however you slice it, but future opponents, starting with the Vikings – who were already torched by Adams in Week 1 – are going to make Aaron Rodgers throw the ball elsewhere. It'll be up to the Packers to make that work and still devise ways to get Adams the ball in certain situations.