Inbox: Keep playing the next play

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
cxi1l6jz7n70a3usvdt0

Kyle from Osceola, WI

With all the questions about fan presence in stadiums, is there any chance at all the fans are vastly overestimating their impact on the outcome of games? Also, do you think there needs to be a sarcasm font?

This NFL season might give us a better gauge of the fans' impact. It'll be interesting to compare home teams' winning percentages from this year (albeit a small sample) and prior years. A sarcasm font? Then what do I use if I want to mock your sarcasm?

Dave from Coloma, MI

Not sure if this has been asked before but who was selected in the spot that would have been the Packers fourth-round pick had they not traded it?

The pick went from the Packers to the Dolphins to the Texans to the Rams, who selected Purdue TE Brycen Hopkins at No. 136 overall.

Tom from Green Lake, WI

How does the coaching staff prepare for a game knowing that some key players might be ineligible at the last minute because they tested positive? I understand the next-man-up concept. Does knowing this could happen at a moment's notice change the way practices are conducted, or who receives additional repetitions?

I don't think so. I suspect coaches won't want to take practice reps away from presumptive starters in order to prepare potential emergency replacements. There are only so many practice reps in a given week. I think they'll just react as they go and treat a last-minute positive test no different than a player who wakes up at the hotel on game-day morning unable to get out of bed due to food poisoning or something similar.

Bob from Trabuco Canyon, CA

What does it mean for a receiver to be a good route runner? Is it timing, the accuracy of the angles and cuts, so the receiver is where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there? Is it making the correct adjustments to the defense? Is it getting off/around defenders? All seem important, but what is part of "the route"?

All of the above, plus a level of deception that makes as many routes as possible look the same until the first major cut.

TK from Grafton, WI

A certain recent wide receiver was criticized for his "inability to run correct routes." I maintain that because of "option routes," (QB and receiver seeing the same thing from the defense and adjusting the same way), it's not always as simple as "go down 15 yards and cut to the sideline." How OFTEN are "option routes" used by GB?

All. The. Time. By every team, in every offense.

Mark from Naperville, IL

Do I guess the new intern wasn't happy about being called out and decided not to post the Aug. 11 Insider Inbox? Make things right! I'm dying without my II fix!

This one wasn't on the intern. It was an issue on the league's end with the app, and it took the bulk of the day for it to get fixed. Sorry about that, but it was out of our hands. The column was still posted on the regular site.

Ron from Mitchell, SD

Can you ask Jaire Alexander where I can get a pair of those sunglasses!?

That was different, eh? I enjoy Jaire's personality. He may not answer questions the way anyone expects him to, but he's honest and forthright enough to provide workable material for stories.