Inbox: Nothing ever comes across as too wild

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gvfuzjhse2ximcarmca3

John from Philadelphia, PA

I often use the Falcons' trade up for Julio Jones as a cautionary tale, not proof of concept.

I certainly believe the end result is more the exception than the rule, but those bold moves do work out on occasion.

John from Belleview, FL

I don't get all the accolades heaped on Julio Jones by everyone in the media. He has caught 10 TDs or more in one of 10 seasons played. Davante Adams has caught 10 or more in four of seven seasons. In 10 seasons Jones caught 60 TDs. Adams has caught 66 in only seven seasons. Catch percentage for Jones is 64.2% and for Adams is 64.8%. So why is Jones worth so much more? I don't get it.

C'mon, man. Hey, I take nothing away from Adams, but if you're only going by TD catches, you're missing most of the story. From 2014-19, Jones averaged 1,565 yards per season (more than Adams has ever had in a single year), led the league in receiving yards twice and receptions once, and was named All-Pro five times (two first-team, three second-team). And despite the dearth in regular-season TDs, he has six in eight career playoff games. I think Adams is on his way to a HOF career, but Jones is already there.

Jack from Racine, WI

Did Tim Boyle complete any regular-season passes as a member of the Packers during his career?

Yes, he was officially 3-of-4 for 15 yards in 2019. He did not attempt any passes in 2020.

Ed from Minneapolis, MN

Do you think the Pack will have three QBs entering camp? And do you think a "prove-it" vet, a draft pick, or a UFA is the most likely source?

I'd surmise a late-round draft choice or undrafted QB will be the No. 3 in camp.

Aaron from Scottsdale, AZ

Winning in the NFL is hard. Even with a HOF QB, it is an oversimplification to say the team wins only because of said QB. Football, among most sports, is the ultimate team game when it comes to W's and L's. That said, GB has the third-best winning percentage in the league since 2000. 10 total teams have won a SB in the last 21 years with only five winning more than one: NE, Pitt, Balt, NY, and TB, and only NE winning more than two. I think I'll trust the track record. The answer is "sane expectations." #"AllIn"Is4Suckers

I'm not going to relitigate the all-in nonsense again, and I'm not trying to troll the fan base or bring back recurring nightmares. But I'd defy anyone to find another NFL team that has suffered more gut-wrenching postseason heartbreak this century than Green Bay. In the McCarthy era alone, five times a playoff run ended with a "walk-off" loss, on the final play of the game. Twice on the doorstep of the Super Bowl. Last January's loss wasn't technically another walk-off defeat, but it was clearly a game that could have gone either way. Winning only a single championship in that time doesn't mean the approach is wrong. It just means the game is the game.

Jeff from Brooklyn, WI

Welcome back Mike, with the re-signing of Kevin King does Brian Gutekunst have more freedom to take BPA on either side of the ball, or does he still need to address the corner position?

I'm sure the future of the corner position is very much on his radar, and he will work the board to address it. But with the top three back from last season, he can still target value and not be forced to reach.

James from Milwaukee, WI

While watching the 2011 season on Game Pass I was struck with this question: Has any other player ever had similar totals of tackles and sacks to go along with B.J. Raji's running touchdown and pick-six?

If I recall, the Packers tried to complete a TD pass to Julius Peppers in 2014 but failed. He would be the closest approximation off the top of my head.