Inbox: One cannot succeed without the other

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
woiu4mwwqwmwfhhzgii0

Al from Green Bay, WI

It's the offseason, and players have the opportunity to garner some new experiences, including participating in TV commercial shoots. As "director for the day" which three Packers players do you want to feature in your commercial, and why?

Boyle, Davante Adams and the Smiths, so I guess that's four. All four have unique personalities I feel would translate to a TV screen.

Ben from Neenah, WI

Some organizations continue to draft early-round busts, while others continue to find late-round gems. Much of the success or failure is credited to drafting. How much of this credit is actually due to the development of the player after they are drafted?

I feel like drafting and developing prospects is like cooking. You need good ingredients and a good cook to make a good meal. One cannot succeed without the other. David Bakhtiari, Corey Linsley, Tramon Williams and Aaron Jones all had the talent and drive to succeed but brilliant coaching helped them realize their true potential.

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

One thing I appreciate about Wisconsin is that despite never having top-ranked recruiting classes, it almost always seem to have two or three players go in the first two rounds of the draft. This year looks to be no exception with Zack Baun, Jonathan Taylor and Tyler Biadasz. Beyond those three, any other Badgers we should be keeping an eye on?

Quintez Cephus.

Derek from Minot, ND

Just curious what your thoughts are on Lucas Niang tackle from TCU, if the Packers do let Bryan Bulaga head to free agency.

Niang probably needs a full season to develop into a starter but I love his size (6-6, 315) and length. He offers a lot as a run-blocker, too.If the hip checks out and he has a good pro day, Niang could be a really fine developmental prospect.

Mark from Monrovia, CA

Just read the article by Mike on Dayton tight end Adam Troutman. What a story. He sounds like a great kid with a lot of heart and determination. With his size, do you think that he would be around in the mid-to-late rounds?

Maybe it's just me but it seems like tight end produces more top-shelf NFL talent from off-the-wall college destinations than any other position. Travis Kelce (Cincinnati), Antonio Gates (Kent State) and Delanie Walker (Central Missouri) didn't exactly come from football powerhouses. Troutman has such an interesting backstory. He very well could be the next tight end to blossom from humble college beginnings.

David from Cable, WI

Strengthen the defensive line and keep Blake Martinez. Like Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde, I don't want to see us develop a player and not reap the rewards.

I don't sign the checkbook but I will say you'll be hard-pressed to find many better locker-room guys than Martinez. He's a tireless worker and stand-up guy who was always accountable to the media for what happened every Sunday. Like Hayward and Hyde, I'll be happy to see Martinez rewarded this offseason with a contract regardless of whether that comes in GB or elsewhere. Like Hayward, Martinez won't be as easy to replace as some want to believe.

James from Clarkston, MI

Honest to goodness, my friend from high school's sister and JC Tretter got married last month. Any memories of JC during his time in Green Bay?

I don't have any funny stories other than the time Tretter and T.J. Lang worked the locker room to get the story behind two reporters who got into a tussle at practice a few years ago. Tretter exuded professionalism at all times, even in the face of injury early on. It's great to see him stay healthy and thrive in Cleveland.

Tom from New Berlin, WI

Who do you feel is the better LB prospect: Isaiah Simmons or Kenneth Murray?

I really like Murray but Simmons caught my attention with his 4.39 40 in Indy.

Dennis from Parrish, FL

Several days ago, you mentioned that you thought David Bakhtiari was probably the greatest value pick ever for us. I always thought the same, but put in some research to see if our perception was correct. That year had 254 players selected. The ONLY player that you can say unequivocally is better than David is DeAndre Hopkins. Players such as Travis Frederick, Le'Veon Bell, Travis Kelce, and Keenan Allen you can argue either way. After seven years of play, Bakhtiari is a top six player! We are correct!

I think I've said this before, but what makes Bakhtiari's fourth-round selection so special is 2013 was considered a very good draft for offensive linemen. Five tackles went in the first round. Bakhtiari was the 10th to come off the board and an argument could be made he's the best of the bunch.

Jeff from Mesa, AZ

Wes, any news on Lane Taylor and speculation for how he and Elgton Jenkins will be used going forward?

Jenkins looks like a 10-year NFL starting guard to me, so I expect him to be in the starting five next year. I haven't heard anything on Taylor yet. I don't want to get into the specifics of Taylor's contract but it's really not that expensive. He's a good player and solid person. We'll see what the Packers choose to do in the next two weeks.