Inbox: Opportunity abounds there

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
zatxauftzesq3n43zh67

John from Livermore, CA

In your opinion, who do you think is poised to have that "breakout" year?

If 6½ sacks last year (including playoffs) doesn't count as a breakout, then my answer is Rashan Gary. Otherwise, it's an easy call to say AJ Dillon.

Jeff from Woodridge, IL

I read that the Packers are also going to go to electronic tickets. I've not ever used an electronic ticket to an event before, but assume it's like airline boarding passes. This would mean that all of the people hawking tickets around Lambeau Field on game days (buying or selling) goes away right?

Pretty much. All transactions between fans have to be online now.

Ed from Appleton, WI

Why did the front office waste the talents of a Hall of Fame QB and NOT attempt to get better players and actually TRY TO WIN? On the same note, why did you coddle Aaron Rodgers then face slap him? You did the same to Favre, 40-plus years a fan, I'm DONE! I'm sorry but this team is the whiny child of the NFL. Poor me! Go back to 2-14-0 seasons, and half-full attendance. Maybe then you'll get it!

Bye. Oh, wait. You should know in the era of 16-game regular seasons (1978-2020), the Packers never went 2-14-0. The team's worst record was 4-12-0, which it posted four times (1986, '88, '91, '05). OK, now bye.

Michelle from Ringgold, GA

What was the most positive thing to come from the Packers' OTAs this year?

Nobody sustained a serious injury, to my knowledge.

Ronald from Panabo, Philippines

Insiders, I know pads have not gone on yet, but can you tell me what you have seen in Christian Uphoff? It seems to me the safety room would be very hard to get into to make the team.

I will admit I didn't see enough of Uphoff this spring to form an opinion, but I would disagree with your take on the safety position. Opportunity abounds there. After Adrian Amos and Savage, maybe Will Redmond has an inside track on another spot as a veteran and special-teams regular, but after that there's not much separating Uphoff, Vernon Scott, Henry Black and Innis Gaines, and at least one if not two should make the 53.

Sean from Boulder, CO

To follow up with Bill from Wilmington, how awesome is it to see players reach across enemy lines to develop their tools of the trade (credit to Von Miller) together? Considering the potential pitfalls due to injury risk, do you think the league would sanction this officially? I'd hate to see an injury go unpaid, as is often the case with off-premise injuries. In the end, the Kittles and Adamses of the world can learn as much from others as they can from him, and a rising tide raises all ships.

I think it's cool and collegial and all, but there's no way the league would ever get involved. Not a chance.

Dale from Lima, NY

I was checking out some of the jersey countdown photos, and it got me thinking. Which number has been worn by the most great players? For example, both Lofton and Driver wore No. 80. Is there a number that has been worn by more Packers superstars?

The first two that always come to mind for me are 87 (Willie Davis, Robert Brooks, Jordy Nelson) and 75 (Forrest Gregg, Ken Ruettgers, Bryan Bulaga).