Inbox: Robert Tonyan is the uncrowned Pro Bowler

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tlv5p9hmj1zlrovwjak3

Max from Toledo, OH

Thanks for taking care of us, Wes. Spoff said he went fishing, will this hurt his credibility? How will we know if it's credible or just a fish story? Happy Memorial Day. Thank you, vets!

I told Spoff, "Don't come back without grouper." I hope Spoff had a pleasant and reflective Memorial Day weekend and I wish the same for all of you. And Max, I gotta add, your best comments/submissions always come as Max. I'm pretty sure you and I are the only ones who'll even know what that means. OK, let's take a few questions.

Jason from Vernon Hills, IL

How are the early workouts looking for the defense with the new coordinator?

It looked fine. Tuesday's practice was mostly conducted at a walkthrough pace, so it's not like we learned any secrets about the scheme. My biggest takeaways were Preston Smith looks great, Darnell Savage is still a safety and the Packers are still very much committed to Josh Jackson. It was also good to see Kingsley Keke back after the concussion that sidelined him for the final month.

William from Newburgh, IN

Regarding our new "star" position I seem to remember college teams in the '60s, OK maybe '70s, employing what they called a "monster" defense. I wonder if these concepts are similar in any way. The NFL is in constant act/react and it would be funny if a defense that old would be useful in today's NFL.

I don't know much about "monster" defenses – maybe run that one by Cliff – but everything is cyclical in the NFL. It wouldn't surprise me.

Venny from Montgomery, AL

Wes, I think your response to Doug from Neenah was a slight miss since Savage and Rashan Gary became Packers in 2019, but your response highlights the how impressive the 2019 draft class was. If I had to pick a potential Pro Bowl player that was brought to the Packers in 2020, it would be Kamal Martin, Krys Barnes or maybe even AJ Dillon. What say you?

Oh, I got you. Yeah, I'll go with Dillon. He had as challenging of a rookie season as anyone on the roster (being the No. 3 running back and then a month on the COVID-19 list) and Dillon was at his best in December, when they needed him to be.

Frogger from Marinette, WI

Week 1 Packers starting quarterback is…

…currently on the roster.

Joshua from Houston, TX

What is your favorite Aaron Rodgers quote?

"Leadership can't be forced or contrived. It has to be your personality." You don't need to be a three-time MVP for that quote to resonate with you.

Julian from Gastonia, NC

I'm excited to see either Jordan Love or Blake Bortles run Matt LaFleur's offense in 2021 if Rodgers decides not to play for Green Bay. I see more of a ground-and-pound offense with the Packers' many options at running back and offensive line. The general consensus among the national media seems to be that our team won't be competitive without Aaron Rodgers. Sure, it would be a boon if Rodgers returns and he will undoubtedly be welcomed, but why shouldn't I be excited either way?

This team is a Super Bowl favorite, in my mind, with Aaron Rodgers at quarterback. And I still feel it's a competitive, deep squad, if Rodgers doesn't return. Having a backfield combination like Aaron Jones and Dillon will make life easier on any NFL QB.